2

Now to focus more on the reason why our story exists, Y/N L/N.

Although she was born in the United States, she moved to Britain when she was a teenager, so she was more British than American, despite having moved back to the USA. She didn't really have a family, so we won't focus on that too much.

She lived an ordinary life... to an extent. She went to a normal school and had normal friends. However, she was never 'normal', despite the fact that she tried so desperately to just be ordinary. She couldn't. Her biology wouldn't allow it. For years, she tried to ignore her ability because she felt that it was manipulative.

Like the children at the academy she was different, she had powers. However, she had never willingly used them. Every opportunity that arose, she denied it.

It was just another day of work when her boss, Xavier, asked her to do him a favour.

"You know that you are one of our best performers." he begged.
"And you know that I am very self conscious. And that I just don't like singing."
"But every time you perform it's always a full house!"
"I know but-"
"Please. Just this once"
"It's always just this once" Y/N scoffed.
"Would you rather perform or not have a job?" he threatened.
"I have worked here too long for you to fire me. Plus, I'm the only one of your employees that you can actually stand."
"You've got me there. But please Y/N, you know that we need the money... Please, please, please, please, please, plea-"
"Fine! Fine, I'll do it. But, I don't have to perform next month."
"Ok. Ok! Thank you. Love you the most Y/N"
"Yeah right."

Y/N then decided to take her lunch break, just to take some time to process and prepare herself for what was to come.

"Hey Y/N! Can you-"
"I'm on my lunch break Sarah "
"I was only going to-"
"I'm on my lunch break Sarah!"
"Could you just-"
"I'm on my lunch break! For fucks sake, can I not get one minute of peace!"
"Sorry..."
"Sorry Sarah. It's just... I'm performing tonight and-"
"You're stressed I know." Sarah cut Y/N off.
"Yeah." Y/N sighed.

Silence fell upon the co-workers. Y/N fidgeted and fiddled with her hands as Sarah stared at her, waiting for some kind of explanation. When it was clear she would receive nothing of the sort, she struck up another conversation.

"Did you ever read those comics about the Umbrella Academy as a kid?"
"That's a random topic."
"Come on Y/N, I just wanna get to know you better."
"Well not that it really matters but yes I did. I used to always..." Y/N caught herself.
"Always what?"
"I'd always buy them when they were just published."
"Wow... So you're a nerd then?"
"A geek but yeah I guess"
"See, now I know you just a little bit better."
"Well good for you." Y/N said as she took another bite of her sandwich.

With her social battery now drained, Y/N got up and went back into the store. She clocked back in and then took the cart of new books that needed to be put on the shelves. The next book on the cart was one by Nathan Hargrove, as she went to put it on the shelf, one of the books caught her eye. She hadn't read it since it was first published. 'Extra-Ordinary' by Vanya Hargreeves.

"Y/N, since you're back to work now, can you-"
"I have more important things to do Sarah!"
"Y/N! Play nice." Xavier warned.
"Sorry!"
"Can you show me where these go?" she finally asked.
"You've worked here for 2 years now and you still don't know where things go?"
"No. I don't. My memory is awful." Sarah chuckled.
"Yeah. It's definitely your 'memory'"
"Just help me."
"Fine. Which books do you have?" Y/N asked.
"These." Sarah said as she thrust a pile of books into Y/N's arms.

Y/N took one look at the books that she was gripping and had to bite her tongue in order to not scream at her co-worker.

"These are young adult fiction books Sarah."
"So where do they go?"
"Look over there," Y/N pointed just across the room, "And you tell me."
"Oh! Oh my god, I'm so dumb! Of course they go right over there."
"Yes they do..." Y/N mumbled to herself.
"Thanks Y/N" Sarah grinned.
"You're welcome."

Y/N turned sharply on her heel and made her way towards the cashier. She muttered every curse word she knew under her breath as she sorted the change in the register that another one of her co-workers had clearly messed up. Today was not her day. Y/N then went about her day doing her regular cycle of duties, a singular cog in the machine that was her workplace.

There were only a few hours left of her shift, but something peculiar happened. The cloudless sky was suddenly obscured and the streets lit up with a strong blue light.

"What the fuck?"

The light held for around two, maybe three minutes but then as quick as it came, it went.

"Did you see that?" Y/N asked the only other person in the room.
"Yeah. It was odd wasn't it." Xavier brushed off her comment.
"Odd? Xavier that wasn't just odd."
"Well what would you call it?" Xavier said as he began to clean up the poetry section of the store.

Both of the workers just stared at each other awkwardly as they turned back to their jobs.

"Are you sure you're okay with performing tonight?" Xavier asked as he stacked up piles of donated books.
"You're the one that is making me do it" Y/N joked, locking the back door and the break room.
"That is true. But I know how stressed you get whenever we do these fundraisers. And although I'm your boss, I consider you a close friend so I want to know if you are actually going to be ok."
"Awwww. Well that's very sweet," Y/N jeered, "But I will be fine. Besides, we need the money to keep this place going so, I'll be fine."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes." Y/N says.

Xavier finished up stacking the books and locked the register as Y/N collected her things and headed out.

"I'll see you in an hour."
"See you at 7, Y/N."

The bustling streets of New York in rush hour swallowed Y/N whole as she made her way to her apartment. Waves of people flowed past her as she walked by the local bus stop. With her earphones in, Y/N walked straight into one of the unfortunate strangers walking past. They fell to the ground and instantaneously, Y/N shot up and began apologising profusely.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, I was in my own world..."
"It's fine." the woman laughed.
"Here let me help you up." Y/N offered as she extended a hand.
"Thanks."
"You're welcome."

They stood in silence and both awkwardly looked at the ground, ignoring what had just happened.

"I'm Y/N." she blurted out into the silence.
"I'm Vanya."
"Nice to meet you Vanya, ummm, I'd love to stay and chat but I need to get home."
"Oh uh, yeah, so should I."

They both looked to the ground again and Y/N darted off in the direction of her building. She sped through the crowds now, desperate to return home and hide from the awkwardness of the interaction.

As soon as she entered her apartment, she wanted to curl into a ball and hide away from the world because not only did she have to perform tonight, she had also just walked straight into the author of one of her favourite books.

And with that, Y/n got ready for one of the hardest things she's always had to do. Singing.