Chapter Nine: Tony...?

Start from the beginning

"A time heist," Scott answered, barely above a whisper.  

"Yeah a time heist," Tony answered back, sarcasm dripping from his words. "Why didn't we think of this before? Oh, because it's laughable. Because it's a pipe dream."

"Tony, the stones are in the past," I started, speaking up for the first time. His eyes cut over to me. "If we can get back, we can get them."

"We can snap our own fingers, bring everyone back," Natasha spoke, backing me up.

"Or we could make everything worse."

"I don't believe we would," Steve countered. 

"Gotta say, sometimes I miss that giddy optimism. However, high hopes won't help if there is no logical, tangible way to safely play out said time heist. And I gotta say, Mo-mo, can't believe you're going along with this. I usually depend on you for realism." 

"What other choice do we really have Tony? We see an opportunity, to bring them back. All of them," I said, resisting the urge to drop a name. 

"Well, I'm sorry but I believe the most likely outcome is our collective demise," Tony retorted. 

"But, can't you see what we are trying to do? This could be it Tony! This could be how we save them." 

"Miss heroic at it again. Is this some sort of redemption story? Well, I'm sorry to break it to you, but I'm not compromising everything I have here so Miss Bad Guy Turned Good can finally be the hero." 

"That's not what I'm asking. You can take me out of the equation entirely, this isn't about me. It isn't even about you, it's about everyone who isn't here right now. Whose story was cut short."

Tony was silent, only staring at me. This time I didn't look away. 

"If we strictly follow the rules of time travel," Scott began. "That means no talking to our past selves, no betting on sports events-"

"I'm going to stop you right there," Tony interrupted. "Are you telling me that your plan to save the universe is entirely based on Back To The Future?" 

"No..."

"Good. You had me worried there. 'Cause that'd be horse shit. That's not how quantum physics works." 

"Tony, we have to take a stand," Natasha said, trying to get him to understand. 

"We did stand, yet here we are." 

"Here we are, with an opportunity," I responded, meeting his eyes again. 

"Careful," Steve sent in a brain message. "You don't want to push too hard." 

"I know you got a lot on the line. You got a wife, a daughter. But I lost someone very important to me. A lot of people did. And now, now we have a chance to bring her back. To bring everyone back. And you're telling me that won't even..." Scott responded, practically begging. It made my heartache. 

"That's right, Scott, I won't even. I got a kid, something that not all of you understand," he responded. 

My hand started to shake, I went to lunge, but a little girl walked outside. 

"Mommy told me to come save you," the little girl said, looking over at sheepishly. 

Tony sweeps her into his arms, looking like a picture-perfect dad. My heart ached, knowing I'd never be able to give that to Steve. It made me feel sick, I suddenly felt like my world was spinning. 

I darted off, running off the porch. I leaned against one of the trees as I threw up what little lunch I had eaten. 

Suddenly I felt a hand on my back, rubbing small comforting circles. 

"Are you okay," Steve asked, as a stood up, wiping at my mouth. 

"Yeah, I'm fine, just it was getting heated," I murmured. "I'm assuming he didn't agree?" 

"No, he said he had his second chance," Steve responded. "He invited us to stay for lunch if we didn't talk shop, but I don't think any of us could resist." 

I nodded in agreement and the four of us loaded back up in the car. 

~A/N So guys you have been so patient! Life is starting to slow down! I'm only a couple of assignments from completing my bachelor's and being finished with school!! 

On another, more serious note, I hope you all are doing well amongst the craziness that is this pandemic! Please leave comments and votes so we can all interact and hopefully fill our days with some sort of distraction! 

QOTC: How did you guys enjoy this chapter?

Anyways, I hope you all have done well and I hope to update more regularly once my school is finished, as well as starting other books! I have some in the works as we speak... Have a good day ~