Chapter Twenty-Nine: Call Me

After the heart-to-heart on the dock, there wasn't much time to waste. We had to keep moving. Or all of these sacrifices would mean nothing.

As I went to leave, I felt a tug on my hand, I turned to see Steve looking at me expectantly.

"We will talk. I'm not running," I promised.

"Please, I just want to explain," he tried to tell me.

"And you can. Later. I'm just not sure I want to hear the explanation yet," I told him honestly. It was like I wanted to know but didn't. They say the truth hurts, and I wasn't sure I wanted to keep hurting.

He gave me a look as if he wasn't sure he believed me.

"There's just something I need to do first. Then we can talk okay?" I bargained. "I'll even come to find you."

He nodded and gave my hand a squeeze. I gave a small smile in return, although it was like my heart broke again. All I could keep picturing was the way he stopped in his tracks when he caught sight of her. I shook my head as if it could physically be extracted.

I turned and jogged to catch up with the science-y group. They wouldn't even notice I was there. I just had to see the stones for myself. I had to convince myself they were not calling me. That they meant nothing to me.

The dream with Thanos was just my mind playing tricks. Maybe some sort of lingering mind control.

I followed Tony, Rocket, and Bruce to the lab where the stones and our homemade gauntlet were being kept.

I trailed back once we got there, thinking I would lay low. I let them start working, maybe once they got in the groove they wouldn't even think about me. I tried to stand in the background as they all begun to work on the gauntlet. The stones would have come to later I guessed.

But suddenly Tony stopped what he was doing and turned and looked at me.

"No offense there Momo, but I didn't realize your strengths were in the lab," Tony said, eyeing me cautiously as I watched their work.

"Usually they don't but I'm making an exception to the rule today," I answered him, trying to sound as innocent as possible.

"And why is that praytell?" Tony asked me, also trying to sound innocent.

"Hopefully we'll see," I said vaguely. "Besides, you owe me one, don't you think?"

He gave me a weird look, but his attention was brought back to the task at hand as they were getting closer to everything coming into place.

Then, they pulled the stones out. I stood up straight now. I could feel Tony's eyes on me, but I didn't care. All I could see was the yellow stone. I took a step forward, my hand instinctively reaching out.

In an instant, Tony was in front of me. "What are you doing?"

I was quickly snapped out of whatever trance I had been in.

"It's nothing," I muttered.

"Nothing? That didn't look like nothing sweetheart," Rocket grumbled.

I gave him a dirty look, I didn't need his input.

"You okay Morgan?" Bruce asked me.

All of three pairs of eyes were on me now. So much for staying low.

"Is this what you talked about in New York?" Tony asked me now. His voice revealing some sympathy.

"I don't know. I just feel like I need to touch it," I said, my eyes once again locking onto the stone.

"Uh we can't let you do that," Tony told me gently.

"Why not?" I asked, eyes darting to his.

"Because it's dangerous? What are you on right now?" Rocket asked incredulously.

I could feel my hand glowing, I was about to lose it.

"Make the raccoon shut up," I threatened.

"Go ahead, shoot me princess," Rocket shot back, motioning to a gun he had just laid on the table.

I scoffed, "As if that scares me coming from a chihuahua."

"A chi-what-what? What did she just call me?" Rocket asked in a rage.

"Bruce can you take him out for a moment," Tony said quickly, deescalating for once.

"You sure about that? I don't think the two of you alone in the same room will wield good results," Bruce replied wearily.

"It's fine," we both snapped.

Bruce only shook his head and ushered Rocket out of the room, a string of profanities following them.

"Look, nothing will probably even happen. I just need to know," I told him, trying to reason.

"I don't think that's a good idea," he stated again, more firmly.

"But Tony-"

"No, listen, we don't know what the stones true power and potential are. We can't lose another part of the team," he told me.

I pondered his words for a moment. I felt like I knew the stones would do nothing to me, but I didn't know that. What if this was some sort of mind game to get me to do something risky, and hurt the team? I couldn't risk that.

"Okay, you're right," I told him finally.

Tony nodded softly, but he still eyed me. "You're not going to sneak in and try to steal it are you?"

"No," I laughed. "What do you think I am? Some sort of criminal?"

He shot me an exasperated look.

"Do you know why you feel like it's calling to you?"

"No, it's just like some sort of siren call. Or like something is waiting behind door number three. All I know is whatever the reason, the call, well it's powerful and I don't know why," I finished.

He looked at me for a long time then, as if analyzing my words. Like he may change his mind, but then he just nodded and called for the Hulk and Rocket to come back.

"I think we're done with your assistance for now," Tony told me.

I internally groaned. I knew until they finished that, that I would need to use my time wisely. To tie up the loose ends.

To finally talk with my husband.

A real talk. To settle it one way or the other.

I think I'd rather face Thanos.