Chapter 24

August

"Babe calm down, she'll see a doctor soon."

Caressing Alei's thigh, I tried go get her to settle down while we waited. We've been at the hospital for a solid forty five minutes now and shit was annoying.

Mirah was settled in her father's arms, but Alei was heated. After cussing out a nurse who was more focused on me than listening go her, they had threatened to call security.

"I still can't believe they were going to call security on me." She huffed.

"Baybeh, ya threatened to stab out ole girl's eyes with a fucking syringe." I laughed. "What ya expected?"

Wrapping my arm around her shoulder, I pulled her closer to me.

"I expected them to get a doctor. How can you sit there and watch a child crying in pain like that and not be worried? But she got time to make fucking googly eyes at you."

"This why we ain't together no more." I whispered, making her crack a smile.

"For real." She shook her head.

Sighing, she got up and walked over to the water dispencer. Shifting my attention, I watched at Druex who was looking at her in this way.

"Wassup?" I gave him a head nod when he looked over at me.

Not even saying a word, he looked down at Amirah and continued to rock her.

Every bone in my body been telling me not to trust that fool and I wasn't about to let my guard down for anything.

"Amirah Fredric?"

Hearing her name, they both approached the doctor while I sat and watched them.

When I saw Alei walking over to me, I got up and met her half way.

"They said they're going to run some tests on her."

"Aight. What ya want me to do?"

"I need you here but if you're -"

"Nah, I'll stay. We can stay in tomorrow and relax."

"Ok." She exhaled. "I'll be back."

"And I'll be right here waiting." I kissed her forehead.

*****

"Nah they ain't come out yet."

"Do you at least know what's wrong?"

"Nah, but I'll let her know you called."

"OK thanks."

"Hey Shay?"

"Yea?"

"You ok?"

"Yes, why?"

"Yeen been ya self."

"What you mean?"

"Well for the couple months I've known ya, this the first time yeen take any shots at me without Alei having ta tell us ta chill."

"Oh. Just tired with the prepping and everything but I promise you I'll make up to it tomorrow."

"Just know a nigga got his clapbacks."

"Good."

Laughing to myself, I shook my head as I ended the call. Same time Alei came back out.

"She has an ear infection apparently." She sat next to me.

"They sending ha home though?"

"Not tonight. They trying to get her fever to break."