A Note before Reading

I just want to address some things about dates, ages and characters before you get started.

Sanditon
Within this story, the events of Sanditon took place in the summer of 1823.

Charlotte Heywood
We don't know very much about Charlotte's age etc., other than that she's maybe in her early 20's during the events of the show. Here, Charlotte was born in September 1804 and was 18 approaching 19 during the events of Sanditon. She has just turned 19 when we see her first in this book.

We also know that she has 11 siblings, I am going to make her the fourth of her parent's children with 2 older brothers and an older sister. This leaves her with 8 younger siblings: 3 sisters and 5 brothers. We may or may not meet all of them.

A future character
One central character who will not appear for several chapters is a highly fictionalised version of a real historical figure. Their date of birth/age, name, status and personal history up until we meet them will remain largely in line with the truth throughout the book. I won't say any more now because that would give away spoilers. They will be 24 when we meet them first.

Lady Susan - Again, we know very little about Lady Susan. Here, I will be working on the assumption that Lady Susan was probably in her early to mid-30's during the events of Sanditon. As she is more of a supporting character, I have chosen not to make her age explicitly clear.

She is the Prince Regent's Mistress and we assume she is married to an unseen Lord Worcester (or is the daughter of - though that seems rather unlikely given the conventions of address of the time) about whom we know nothing. As many of Jane Austen's characters appear to have elements inspired by real people, I have chosen to make her the wife of Henry Somerset (Marquess of Worcester at the time this story is set) who would eventually become the 7th Duke of Beaufort.

Sidney Parker - As with Lady Susan, we don't really know how old Sidney is. But based on the knowledge that he was once engaged to Mrs Campion and proceeded to spend several years, possibly up to a decade, abroad after the betrothal was broken, I am going to assume he is in his late 20's to early 30's. Really though, his exact age isn't especially important.

The prince Regent - Even though the events of this book take place between 1823 and 1827, which is after George IV actually became king, I have continued to refer to him as the Prince Regent or 'Prinny' in several of the earlier chapters. I feel that, despite him technically being the king and no longer the prince regent, during this time, people might very well have continued to refer to him in this way even after George III's death and his own subsequent coronation. If only amongst themselves. Habits are hard things to break after all.

Esther Denham/Lady Babington is in her mid-20's. Lord Babington is around the same age as Sidney. Lady Denham is in her 70's. Mr and Mrs Parker (Tom and Mary) are in their late 20's.

And now, without further ado...