chapter 8

Still in flashback...)

(Nandini's POV)

   He didn't come back after that night...my marriage was tomorrow. I waited each night for him, sitting by the window. But nothing. I forced myself to go to bed each night, crying till my eyes were red and swollen. 

(The next day...)

   The palace was glowing with happiness and excitement over the preparations for the wedding. My parents looked so happy. A smile formed on my lips after a long time seeing them smile. Maids came to my room and helped me get ready for the big day. Prince Harshad was soon to arrive with his family. I sat on the chair like a statue, staring blankly into the clear mirror. Time went by quickly, as I found myself dressed completely like a bride. But only a smile was missing. Mother came to see me. She had a new glow on her face after seeing me in my bridal attire. She cupped my face with her hands and kissed my forehead. 

"My daughter looks lovely today..." She stroked my head. 

"Thank you mother..." I said, my voice sounding low. 

   I dismissed the maids after mother had left, then I sat down on my bed, twirling the rose in my fingers. It looked more lovely today. The red color had deepened and a beautiful fragrance was surrounding it. I went back to the mirror and tucked it neatly in my hair. 

   The music from down below increased in volume at the arrival of the groom. I took a peek from the door. Surely enough he was down there with his family. I quickly shut the door and leaned back against it. This was it Nandini...this was it.

   I was taken downstairs to the altar...eveyone was blushing and happy to see me descend down the stairs. Prince Harshad was watching me. He gave a small smile. I was brought before him, and the rituals began. Then suddenly I felt a cold sensation touching me. It remained there for a while, while I tried to ignore it. It reminded me of Manik...I didn't want to create a scene in front of everyone.

   I liked around the room to distract myself, but they were behaving awkwardly. Many were holding their heads in pain, and soon they sank to their knees. Then succumbed to unconsciousness. Only the two families, mine and Harshad's, were still conscious. We were all paralyzed with fear. The lights went out, and then a tall figure stepped into the room.  It took only a few moments to tell who it was. Manik. 

   He stepped forward with a wild smirk on his face. 

"I'm back my princess." He blew me a kiss. "Won't you welcome me, your highness?" He bowed mockingly. 

   They all watched him approach us with fearful expressions.  My parents especially. Suddenly a sword handing from the wall levitated into the air, making its way into Manik's open hand. He clutched it tightly and smirked. Then he looked at Harshad, who was now trembling in fear. 

"Let's have some fun, shall we prince?" He laughed. Prince harshad suddenly flew back against the back wall. The wall began to crumble under such force. His parents tried to move towards him, but an invisible barrier stopped them. In fact, even my parents and I were trapped. 

   Manik shot his empty hand out towards harshad. His arms began to move accordingly to manik's hand movements. He watched over to him and placed the sword in his hand. Harshad couldn't fight it. Manik forced his hand shut. He gained control of harshad's body and stood him up. He then poised the sword at his neck, ready to slit his throat.