13. Once a boorish peasant, Always a boorish peasant.

Start from the beginning

She would have liked to say more, but respected the defenses on his face. Whatever allowed him to be so open at night, it was now gone. Her theory was confirmed by Jason who observed him cautiously and walked down the stairs without an attempt at touching.

After a well-enjoyed and pleasant breakfast, Conner went downstairs to shower and prepare for work. Jason stayed with Karen. She put her hand on his hand.

"I only now realise how vulnerable Conner is and how grateful Duncan and I are that you are here to support him."

"Although he doesn't talk about his nightmares, I do notice that his pain is very deep. It's really necessary for him to talk to someone. Preferably a professional."

"That's exactly what Duncan has been saying for months, but he refuses all help."

"Don't they offer help from the Navy?"

"I have no idea. He doesn't talk about that either."

"I'm going," she heard from the downstairs before the door was closed.

"What's new with you?", asked Karen.

"Andrea has a few artists who's she wants to show me. They are potential candidates for when my collection goes on tour."

He also planned to ask her if she knew a suitable workspace for him. This wasn't something he wanted to bother Karen with, but the longer he thought about it the more he liked the idea. If Conner opened up more and therefore shared more emotions, he needed an outlet to process it.

Jason was excited about the portfolios of Andrea's candidates. He supported her desire to add at least one local artist per city. When asked about the workspace, her eyes started to shine.

"I was wondering how long it would take you to get the jitters?"

She picked up her calendar and took over an address for him.

"Go check here. You can get in right away. I think this is exactly what you need."

Jason took the paper.

"When can I get a look?"

"Now, if you want."

She took back the piece of paper and added a phone number.

"Alex is an experimental artist. I'm sure you'll have a click."

After a short phone call with an extremely friendly woman who assured him that he was welcome at any time, he drove full of expectation to the specified address. Frowning, he stepped out of his car in front of the gray and abandoned looking warehouse. On the steel door on the right was an eight painted. On closer inspection, he found an intercom.

"Hello?", sounded a woman's voice.

"Hello. My name is Jason Greenleaves. I have an appointment to view the studio space."

"Come up."

Bzzt. The door was closed and Jason stepped in.

A brightly dressed woman in her 40s waited outside the elevator on the first floor.

"Hello, Jason. My name is Natalie Dumas. Alex's wife."

His eyes grew when he recognized the name. Actually, both of them. He shook her hand a little bit.

"Andrea forgot to tell that little detail. It is truly a pleasure for me to be able to get acquainted with you."

Natalie smiled.

"Don't give Andrea too many problems, Jason. It is at our request that she didn't say anything."

She beckoned him further.