Chapter 5 ~ Surprises

Start from the beginning

I watch the old footage. They remind me of me and Roy. I look at Steve and know he's hurting so I grab his hand and squeeze it, telling him I'm here for him. He looks down and gives me a small smile.

We continue to walk and stop on a video of Peggy Carter, one of the founders of SHIELD, being interviewed. We walked in, in the middle of the interview but we still stay to hear the rest.

"That was a difficult winter. A blizzard had trapped half our battalion behind the German line. Steve... Captain Rogers, he fought his way through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. He saved over a thousand men, including the man who would... who would become my husband as it turned out. Even after he died, Steve was still changing my life." Peggy says in the interview.

I look over and Steve takes out an old compass with the photo of Peggy in it. I raise a brow, he never mentioned anything about knowing her or what kind of relationship he had to her, but I can only assume that he loved her if he still carries her picture with him. That and he has a framed photo of her in his room too.

The video ends and we get up.

"Come on." Steve gestures me to follow as we make our way to the entrance and back to the motorcycle.

"Where are we going now?"

"Another surprise." He says as we hop on the motorcycle.

Another ten minutes later we stop at a nursing home.

We enter the building with our disguises still on. We go to the lady at the front desk.

"Hi. Who are you here to see?" The lady asks with a huge smile on her face.

"Peggy Carter," Steve says. She's still alive?!

"I'm sorry. You're not allowed to see Mrs. Carter unless you are family." The lady says.

Steve takes his cap off and leans forward on the front desk. "I'm Captain Rogers and I would like to see Peggy Carter please." He says once again.

The lady's eyes widen. She looks at me to confirm who I am. I take my hood down and smirk. She looks back at Steve opening her mouth and then closing it again.

"Y-y-yes of c-course. Peggy Carter, second floor, room 41B." The lady says once she finds her words.

We make our way to the elevator. I take one more look back at the lady at the front desk and snicker. Once we make it to her room I see Steve hesitate to open the door.

"It's okay Steve." I take his hand, reassuring him it's fine.

He takes a shaky breath and nods. "Wait here, I'll call you in soon."

I nod and let him go inside. I still can't believe the Peggy Carter is still alive and I'm about to meet her. After a few minutes the door opens and Steve gestures for me to come in.

"Peggy, this is (Y/n), my daughter." Steve introduces me as I walk in. He closes the door behind me.

"You had a daughter?" Peggy asks.

"Adopted." Steve and I say in unison.

"He's still a 90-year-old virgin," I mutter. Steve heard me because he slaps the back of my head.

She nods in understanding now. "It's nice to meet you (Y/n)." Peggy holds her hand out for me to shake. I take her hand.

"Oh my Thor! Peggy Carter is shaking my hand." I geek out.

"You know about Peggy?" Steve asks.

"I did my research on SHIELD before joining. Peggy is one of the founders of SHIELD and proved that girls can do anything men can do. Such a badass." I move to a chair and sit down. Steve sits right beside me.