Before Wizard City

This short story takes place one day before chapter one of this book, so right before Emily found out she has powers, right before she found out about her heritage. Just when she was a human living with her adoptive mother Rachel and her 'adoptive sister' Andrea.

It was quiet, not eerily quiet, but quiet enough that I could hear myself breathe. The realization switching my automatic breathing to a more manual one, the human body truly is strange sometimes. I was lounging on one of the comfy couches in the University library. The library was always where I'd come when I felt lost, when I wanted to get away from it all, it was one of the few places where I felt like I actually belong. Luckily today, no one was here but me, literally no one at all.

I was peering into the seventh installment of the 'Harry potter' series: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I was re-reading it for probably the fifth time, the entirety of the series were some of my favorite books. I love getting lost in the fantasy of it all, it's not hard for me to delve into an imaginary world in my mind when almost nothing makes sense in my real existence. I was about halfway through the book when it was taken out of my hands, replaced by my boyfriend's face who was upside down, standing behind the couch and looking down into my eyes. I looked up at him in slight amusement, a smile tugging at my lips as he kissed my lips gently, before closing my book and walking around the couch to sit next to me.

"You'd better have saved my page number."

He gave me a devilish smile.

"What do you take me for, an amateur?"

I narrowed my eyes, which were twinkling with mirth.

"Occasionally."

He placed a hand over his heart, giving me a mock offended look.

"You wound me, Angel. Truly."

I simply smiled at his antics, he smiled back, before handing me my book back, which in fact had a bookmark placed to earmark where I left off in the book.

"Thanks. Now is there a reason you're disturbing my peaceful reading time?"

"Is wanting to see my girlfriend not reason enough?"

"It would be if that's why I thought you were here."

"Well it's not not why I'm here."

The sentence was delivered with pure innocence, startling a chuckle out of me.

"Alright Ed. What's up?"

"Rachel told me to take you home."

I looked up at him in confusion.

"Why didn't she just call me?"

"She did. Your phone's off."

I fumbled around the couch for my phone, and checked it. Yup...battery's dead.

"Oh. Oops."

"Yeah, now come on, she already hates me enough for sticking my tongue down her adopted daughter's throat every chance I get."

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"What a romantic way of describing kissing me." He winced, offering me a kiss on the cheek as an apology. To which I responded with a calm smile. "In any case, I can't go back yet. I still need to drop off my research paper at Harlingon's office, and pay a visit to Anya."

He looked at me in confusion, born of worry.

"...The guidance counselor? Why?"

"Just..." I shook my head, before sighing. "It's nothing."