CHAPTER SIX

EVELYNE
A WELCOMED DEAL

EVELYNEA WELCOMED DEAL

THE SUN WAS AWFULLY BRUTAL that summer day. While the markets thrived and people bustled around, the heat loomed to create an irritable mood across the city of Pentos. Evelyne decided that she did not want to potentially bother the sellers and beggars, so she opted for spending a day indoors, more specifically the library in Magister Illyrio's mansion.

"So, what does this say?" Daenerys asks, her thin fingers pointing to a line in a children's book.

Right next to her, Evelyne chews on her lip, but no thoughts came to mind. It's all lines, some straight and some curved, but none of them make any sense. "Erm..."

Weeks ago, Daenerys found out that Evelyne was never taught to read, so the girl made it her goal to become a teacher, at least for a short while. However, it was not long until Evelyne realized the small girl, even with all her brains and beauty, had one flaw: she was the worst teacher in Esos. Despite the hours both put towards studying, Evelyne was still at the start of her mission. She had begun to memorize some letters, but all the different sounds and shapes confused the poor young woman. It also frustrated her that she was struggling.

Daenerys sighs, but the sound was quiet. "It's alright. That just means there is some confusion somewhere. Learning something new can have that happen." To this Evelyne blushes, silently thanking Daenerys for being so patient.

"I appreciate your lessons," Evelyne tells her.

"I enjoy it! It feels nice, helping out a best friend."

There is a moment of silence after Evelyne hugs her friend who clings to her tightly. Evelyne waits for Daenerys to pull away before turning her head towards the book. "I think this word is 'princess.'"

Daenerys peers down, a bright smile on her face. "See? You're getting there!"

There was another hour of learning that passed before Daenerys was ready to retire for the evening. Bidding farewell to the girl as she began to prepare for bed, Evelyne swiftly left the chamber.

She made several turns before she realizes she absentmindedly took the book with her, her arms wrapped around the object, holding it close to her chest. Evelyne can't help but feel that she looks much like a child clutching their favorite toy to their chest. For a moment, Evelyne considers continuing her trek back to her little cottage, but she decides against it. There isn't much she could do with something she can't exactly read.