11) .Happy Endings.

(Edited)

.Happy Endings.

~Queenie~

The sun was bright. Almost blindingly bright, but I didn't mind. I kept my eyes shut and sighed at the wonderful feeling of Duckie running his fingers through my hair. I lay on his lap, a smile on my face, and the green grass tickling my bare feet. I was happy, really happy. Is this what love is? I asked myself, feeling utterly and completely happy. Because if it is, I will always want it.

"Queenie, my love?" Duckie asked, bringing me from my thoughts. 

I peeked my eyes open and when I saw Duckie's face blocking the light, I opened them all the way. 

"Yes, Duckie?"

"I love you." 

I laughed. I didn't think a second went by when he hadn't said it. And every time, I said it back.

"I love you too."

*~~~~~*~~~~~*

"Finally!" Andie explained when I had finished relaying my story to her. We were sitting at Trax, her behind the counter, and me on the counter. 

I broke into a smile. 

"I feel like this stupid thing lasted forever! Yesterday, when we were at prom, he told me he'd realized he loved you, and I swore to myself that if he didn't tell you, I would. That boy has no courage sometimes." 

I chuckled. "He fought Steff for me, remember?" 

"Twice," Andie added. "If that's not love, then I don't know what is."

"So how are you and Blane?" I asked, changing topics. 

She shrugged. "You know, stuff happened, we're happy now and still dating."

"That's great!" I exclaimed. "And are you in love?" 

Andie thought about it for a moment. When she blushed and turned away, I knew what she was thinking. "I guess, yeah," she agreed. "He's different, special. Kind, humble. He makes me laugh. He cares. That's all I can really ask for, really. And what do you see in Duckie that makes him so special?" 

I laughed. If I wrote all the things I loved about him down, it would take me a lifetime to read. "The same things you see in Blane," I told her instead. "He's kind, he makes me laugh. Most of all, he treats me like a real person, like I have feelings and I'm not just an object. Just the little things that tells me he cares and loves me. That's what makes him so perfect." A ding of the door echoed through Trax and I smiled at Duckie who had entered. Speak of the Devil.

"Ready to go, love?" he asked. 

I nodded. 

Andie looked between the pair of us. "Where are you off to?" 

I shot her a smirk. "We have to get Duckie into graduation. We're going to study." Duckie had been failing most of his classes this semester, putting off the future. I had convinced him the future was going to come whether he liked it or not and the best he could do was to embrace it. He reluctantly agreed and we were going to have a study date to get his grades up for the next few weeks before school ended. 

Andie nodded in understanding. "Good luck." 

I took Duckie's hand and he lifted me off the counter and from the store, but not before I gave one last wave to our friend.

"I love you," Duckie told me suddenly. Having been used to it, the butterflies still echoed in my stomach. 

I still rolled my eyes. "I love you too, Phil," I said, using his real name.

"And you know what?"

"What?"

"Andie may look pretty in pink, but you look prettier in purple." 

I looked at him in confusion and saw his silly little smile that I loved so much. What was he talking about? Purple wasn't even my color!

~~~

Word Count : 626