3) .A Favor.

(Edited)

.A Favor.

~Queenie~

I hadn't seen Duckie for two days and Friday was only a day away. I kept having a twitch in my eye from not talking to him in so long and keeping something so important from him. This guy that I was going out with Friday was named Steff McKee and was one of the most popular seniors in the entire school. I had hit myself in the forehead with my palm when I found out. Steff was a player, jerk and totally didn't deserve my attention, whether he liked me or not. After Friday, I would break it off and definitely not let him drag me to his room ... alone.

I was sitting on my bed reading one of my favorite books of all time when the phone on my bedside table rang. I picked it up immediately, hoping it was Steff canceling on me. Sadly it was only Duckie and panic gathered in my throat when I realized that I could have to tell him about Steff.

"Hey, love," he started. "Did you got those notes in English today? I totally spaced out and missed half of them." 

I rolled my eyes with a little laugh. "You weren't even there, Duck," I reminded him.

He sucked in a sliver of air through his teeth. "Damn, I thought you wouldn't notice." 

I laughed for real this time. "When do I not notice?" 

I heard his smile over the phone. "Fair point," he agreed. "Listen, can I still get them from you? I promise I'll make it up to you." 

I reluctantly said yes. 

"Great! I'll run by on Friday on my way home, since I know you don't want to carry them with you to school or anything." 

I sighed. This was it. This was my moment. Better get it over with. "Sorry, Duckie, but I won't be here on Friday." 

I heard his smile drop. "Why not?" 

Come on, Queenie, you got this. "Because I ... have ... a ... date..." That was a lot harder than it looked, I promise, and the words came out staggered and slow, and I was sure Duckie didn't hear any of them when he didn't respond.

"That's good. Dates are good." It sounded like he was trying to convince himself more than me. "Who's it with?" he finished. Here came the embarrassment. 

"Steff McKee," I told him quickly before wincing. 

There was no response for a couple seconds that stretched to be almost a minute. To me it felt like it lasted an eternity.

"What?" A mumble came from the other end. "Queenie, we just talked two days ago about how richies are idiots and will use you for your body and dump you in the dust." 

I gave the wall a deadpanned look. "We didn't talk about that,'" I said. 

There was a slight pause. 

"Oh yeah, that was Andie, but that doesn't matter." 

I continued the deadpanned look. 

"The point is, Steff is the most shitty of all jerks. He's the one that stuffed my head down a toilet, remember?" 

I sighed. 

"I get that you might like him, or whatever, but please, just take my advice. He's going to use you, then dump you."

"I know," I told him. 

There was silence on the other end. 

"He's an arse and a complete douche, and I have no idea why I said yes, but I did."

"Okay ..." Duckie slowly said. "That was not what I was expecting." He thought for a moment. "So if you said yes, why didn't you break it off." 

I shrugged even though he couldn't see me. "I thought, maybe I could change him," I told my best friend honestly. "Maybe he'd stop stuffing your head into toilets. Maybe all he needs is a good girl to keep him in check."

"He's a richie, Queenie. You aren't going to change him. He's been pursuing after Andie for years."

I leaned back on my bed, spreading my arms out, except for the hand holding my phone stayed near my ear. "Then if he continues to be a total arsehole, I'll drop him like a mic on a stage." 

Duckie laughed at my simile. 

"Don't worry. I know how to handle guys like him," I promised.

"When was the last time you actually had a date?" He asked. 

Never. I thought. Because I keep waiting for you. Now, I'm finally done waiting. But I didn't say that. "A long time," I told him instead. "But I've had many in pursuit of me. I don't give in that easily." 

"Fine, just promise me you'll drop him immediately if he tries to take advantage of you." I nodded in agreement.

"I promise. And ... I actually need a favor ..." 

There was a pause and I knew Duckie wanted me to go on. 

"He's holding a party for our date. I warned him that I didn't approve of drinking and he said I didn't need to be around anyone like that. I know this is risky, but it's too late now."

"And the favor ...?"

"Can you somehow sneak into the party and so if I get into any trouble, you're only a call away?" 

He thought for another moment. "I don't know, Queenie ..."

"Please! It would mean so much to me. Plus, you owe me for the notes and for the toilet. This will count for two. You're my best friend, Duckie. I really need you now more than ever." 

There was another beat.

"Okay, I'll see what I can do." 

I broke into a smile. "Thank you, Duckie, you're the best!" I told him. "If you were here, I totally would give you a hug!"

"I'll be over in a moment, love." 

The line went dead, and I laughed. Classic Duck. Never one to refuse a hug.

~~~

Word Count : 974