9 | The Truth

Ali left as soon as Viktor mentioned MATA.

As much as he trusted his best friend, he couldn't bear it. It's always MATA, Aliya, IRIS; Aliya, IRIS, MATA... there was no escape from it. MATA controlled the city; gaining access to every inch of it as much as they protected it.

There was no escape.

Viktor knows about MATA, and the only way for him to know that is for him to be an agent himself. But why? When? How did Viktor get recruited? By his age, he should be at the academy, or training under a professional agent, but instead, Ali had never seen him before. He must have gotten called in when Ali was gone.

Ali didn't know where he was going, but he didn't care. He ran from the school, ran from everywhere that was supposed to be familiar, but it was impossible. He'd grown up here, and everywhere was a familiar place, his second home. It was virtually impossible.

He ran as fast as his legs would take him. He regretted ditching his skateboard back at his house, because it would be useful right about now. All he knew was that he'd angered a lot of people by knocking over their phones and whatever they were holding, but he could care less. He kept his eyes forward, towards the end of the streets, running aimlessly until his mind was calm.

Then, out of nowhere, a man stood in his way, wearing a black jacket with a blue shirt underneath. He was visibly obese, but his biceps suggested that he wasn't physically underachieved. He pulled Ali into a back alley, though he'd done no harm.

He looked up, expecting a MATA agent, and he was right.

"Uncle?" Ali demanded. "What are you—"

"Ali," Bakar cut him off sternly, his gaze grieving and solitary. "We need to talk."

"Talk?" Ali demanded, looking away. "There's nothing to talk about. Though I need to warn you that Boboiboy never makes an empty threat, so for the meanwhile don't do anything that interferes with his—"

"How many times will it take for you to realize that you're always so easily manipulated?" Alicia's voice sliced through his rant. She emerged behind Bakar, her expression pained and exhausted. "Ali, you want to help people, but those people don't need helping. You're turning against your own family for aliens; beings that want to colonize the Earth, or worse."

Ali sighed deeply, though his heartstrings were pulled into a symphony of guilt.

"Why won't you trust us?" Alicia demanded. "We've been through so much together! Why do you keep turning your back on us and helping someone you don't even know much of? They're from space, Ali. Immortals, nonetheless. We did research, and so far we know that Boboiboy's been alive for at least six hundred years, that he has a history of being popular with the police force and one time burned down an entire village."

"I know where you're coming from, Alicia." Ali didn't back down now. What Alicia said was true, but for the first time, Ali needed to be selfish for himself. He needed to heal so he can care for someone else in the future. "But I've seen their story firsthand. And I'm sorry," he said numbly, looking down, "that I'm one of them now."

He looked back up, expression faltering. "And if you don't believe me," he continued, conflict painted on his face, "then watch."

He snapped his fingers. Instantly, both Alicia and Bakar yelped as their feet began to detach from the ground, and they slowly floated into the air. But before they could float off into the sun, they remained stationary in mid-air, bodies moving around as Ali swiped his hand in the air.

Eventually, he lowered his palm, which brought them back to the ground too. They looked at their own selves in surprise, then back to him.

"I'm where I belong," Ali said, his voice so meek and low that only he could hear it. "I'm home."

It was somewhere he hadn't been ever since he lost all the love in his life.

"I'm trusting you two not to tell anyone, but that doesn't really matter anymore," Ali said bluntly, massaging his left shoulder as he turned to the exit. Before he left, he craned his head back to them one more time. "Thanks for all the memories, guys."

He left.