#1 ~ Coin Tosses

(This was in the drafts for a long time since 2017. I might revise this plot but for now, it stays with the rejected)

Prologue
Goodbye Spencer

                "Noelle, we need to talk."

     Noelle couldn't look at him. No. She was too scared. She knew what would happen if she did.

          He was going to break up with her.

     Noelle tried to hold her mouth shut. Fearing that if she did open that troublemaker, she would be in much deeper shit.

     But she couldn't hold it in.

     "Eddie, are you breaking up with me?" Noelle spoke out what she feared the most.

     Edward sighed. "I'm sorry Noelle, I really am, but I can't take it anymore."

     Noelle started tearing up. She loved him so much. They had great times together. She doesn't understand why he would break up with her.

     "Noelle, please don't get mad."

     She glanced up at him and suddenly felt rage. She was such a loving girlfriend. She didn't cheat and she always gave him her attention.

     "Is this because of that Tessa girl?" Noelle decided to use the only blame she could think of and that was cheating. That was probably the reason. He was cheating on her.

     Edward shook his head. "No, I don't like her like that—"

    "Then why? Why Eddie?" Noelle cut him off with a plead. She was hurting so badly. She was at her breaking point and that rarely happened.

     "You were out late last night Eddie, did you make out with some girl?" Noelle blabbed on. "Or maybe one of your friends, who was it? Kenneth? He's such a playboy. Did he influence you? I bet he did. Ever since you saw him in the—"

          "Enough!"

     Noelle jumped at Edward's tone. He never snapped at her. Ever.

     "Noelle, you don't understand how much I try to be patient with you and how much I love you." Edward announces seriously. "But what you're doing right now is the reason why I can't be with you."

     "What do you mean?"

     "You keep assuming everything wrong with our relationship. You immediately go into your own world where you think you're not to blame. Every mistake you do, you blame me. I can't keep being your shield every time my family and friends insult you when you're being difficult with them. You don't make an effort to include me in your decisions, I don't even know that much about you."

     Noelle felt her heart breaking like it was made of glass and every word Edward said was like a baseball bat slamming repeatedly on her chest over and over.

     "I'm sorry Eddie, I didn't know you felt that way." Noelle felt her tears stream down her face and tasted the salty substance as it sneakily slipped through her lips.

     Edward stared at Noelle. She was so beautiful. She had her hair in a messy bun and her pajamas were all wrinkled. He felt bad. He knew Noelle was a fragile character. He was always afraid of breaking her. In fact, this was hurting Edward more that Noelle.

     Feeling the need to comfort her, he walked towards her and gave her a warm hug. Noelle couldn't help but squeeze back. She hated breaking down because it took too much energy. She hated feeling week.

     Edward softly pressed his lips to hers. Noelle tried to take it further but Edward made it brief. He could feel Noelle's disappointment.

     "Noelle, listen when I say that I love you with all my heart." Edward stares deeply into her eyes. He wasn't ready to say goodbye, but he knew it was time. "I love you, but I'm not the one for you."

     Noelle was about to protest but Edward pressed a finger to her lips to silence her.

     "You need someone stronger. Someone who can help you grow and learn. Someone who can be your rock but at the same time let you be his rock. Someone who isn't afraid to correct you when you're wrong. Someone you feel comfortable with to express all your doubts and worries—"

     Edward kissed her forehead and tuck a stray her behind her ear.

          "Someone who you'll say 'I love you' to."

     The last line made Noelle clench her fist. She hadn't realized it. But she never said she loved him aloud. She always thought she did. But now that she thought of it. She only said 'you too' with a toothy grin.

     Edward sadly smiled at Noelle.

               "Goodbye Spencer."