Chapter Ten

When the group of four arrived at the entrance to the shortcut that Simon had been waiting at, Clary ran up and launched herself into Simon's arms as Teigen held Alec back.

"You're sure you're okay?"

Alec looked into her green eyes, sending her a soft smile as he nodded his assent, the smile melting away into a frown as he heard what Simon was saying.

" Yeah, it's just a cold. Not the end of the world."

Alec moved closer to the two teenagers, Teigen resting her elbow on his shoulder as she checked the messages on her phone. "The world's been ending for a thousand years. You get used to it." 

Alec walked up to the two teens, Teigen's arm looped with his as he pushed through them. "Now, we need to move."

Clary moved passed him, Simon in tow. "Yeah, my mom's loft is just across the alley."

Alec nodded, allowing her to take the lead. "All right, well, we have to be careful. There are eyes all over this place and everybody in the Shadow World's looking for you."

Simon turned around with a cocky smile on his face, an expression that was somewhat unfamiliar on his face. "I mean, I guarantee you, no one's gonna find this shortcut. I used to take it back in middle school to see Clary. You might know the Shadow World, but trust me... I know Brooklyn. Come on."

The four of them turned a corner, looking up as a wall seemed to block their progress. 

"Um, how are we going to get over? I mean, Alec could probably get up with his runes-okay. I guess Simon can jump over and leave us to suffer."

Simon had leapt over the wall as if it was nothing, leaving the remaining three to watch him quizzically. 

Alec and Teigen looked at each other in confusion, Alec's gaze a little warier as he considered the night Simon had gotten kidnapped by the vampires.

Clary was then boosted over by Teigen, leaving the two older adults on their own. 

"Is there something you want to tell me, Alec?" 

Alec nodded his head a bit, stepping closer as to not be overheard. "So you know when he was kidnapped by the vampires?" Teigen nodded, looking over at the wall where Simon had disappeared. 

"I think either Camille or another one of the vampires must have given him some of their blood." 

Teigen's face paled, spinning around to fully face Alec again. "What?!" 

Turning around, Teigen ran a shaking hand through her hair, breathing quickly. Spinning around, she put her hands on his shoulders, looking into his eyes with panic in her eyes. 

"So what you're saying is that Simon is turning into a vampire?" Alec nodded, placing his hands on her cheeks, looking into her eyes. 

"Hey, hey, look at me, Teigen. I promise you it's not as bad as it seems. We just need to make sure he doesn't go back to the hotel and stays away from any vampires." Teigen nodded, calming down slightly. 

"Alec smiled at her, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into his chest, cupping the back of her head and running it over her hair. "He isn't in transition yet, he needs to be killed with vampire blood still in his system and then buried, being able to dig himself out before twenty-four hours to become a fully-fledged vampire. The strength, speed, and agility are just the effects of vampire blood in his system." 

Teigen nodded, her breath brushing the side of his neck where his deflect rune was, pulling back slightly. "Should we worry about him craving blood?"