Chapter Three

After two days and absolutely no leads at all, Teigen was exhausted. After being sent home by her Sargeant and told to sleep, there was no way she would be able to sleep despite feeling as if she could keel over at any second, Teigen was forced to wander around Brooklyn, looking in all of the places her family could usually be found, finding no trace of the two, now three, missing women since Dot had disappeared as well.

Luke had been suspiciously quiet as well, going as far as to decline her calls whenever she tried. On one of these instances, she had been overcome with an unknown emotion, gripping the cellular device with enough strength to shatter the screen and SD card within. She immediately regretted this action since she had all of her contacts only stored on her phone, the one she didn't use for official calls only, a stupid decision once she lost all of the contact information within.

That all changed when dispatch sent her to investigate a call that had come in about a dead body that had been seen outside of an old abandoned church. Calling in the forensics team, Teigen elected to wait with the body as her partner, Alex, filed the report.

Sensing something off about the building, Teigen waved her partner over and unlatched the cover of her holster in case she had to draw it quickly. "NYPD! OPEN UP!" Slamming the knocker against the large wooden door, Teigen and Alex waited for a response. When they received none, Teigen tried the door and found it was locked.

Sighing in frustration since the church was still considered private property, some wealthy corporation had bought the building and had done nothing with it, meaning they had to get a warrant to enter and search the building, Teigen and Alex exchanged glances stepping away from the door and down the steps as the forensics team arrived. Crouching next to the body, Teigen glanced at Robert "Robby" Aldridge, the resident pathologist.

"How's it looking, Robby?" He glanced up and grinned as he saw his favourite officer, her familiar red hair tied up in a low bun beneath her cap.

"Hello to you as well Tug." He chuckled quietly as she wrinkled her nose at the nickname that had been bestowed upon her when they met in Glasgow, Scotland when she had grabbed his arm and tugged him and his co-worker and current girlfriend Catherine Bordeaux out of the way of a speeding car, tugging his arm out of its socket as a result.

"It's a simple stab wound through the chest, but I have no idea how he would have gotten it since it's a very clean cut that goes all the way through with burning all around the edges of both lacerations."

Nodding along to what he was saying, Teigen absentmindedly pulled down the collar of the man's suit.

"What the hell?" An angry-looking burn that looked like two circles, the smaller inside of the other was on the side of the man's neck.

Robby looked over to where she was pointing and glanced at her quizzically. "What is it Tug?"

Whispers chanting the word 'Nephilim' began to take form in her head the longer she stared at the burn.

"Tug?"

She could vaguely hear Robby's concerned voice sounding as if miles away. Reaching out to touch the burn, the whispers grew louder, switching to 'Circle' the closer she got to it. As her fingertips came into contact with the burn, a jolt of electricity rushing up to her arm. Jerking back, she shakily got to her feet, ignoring Bobby as he called after her.

Her head was pounding and her stomach was roiling as she tried to stumble away from the church as the whispers grew louder, chanting 'Nephilim, children of Raziel'.

Her combat boots scuffed the ground as she hunched over, folding her arms around her middle as her head swam and she collapsed to her knees, the dull pain from colliding with the pavement shooting into her legs as she keeled over and promptly passed out, the darkness overtaking her vision like a wave.