Chapter Five

"Who the hell are you?"

Teigen whipped around, ignoring Clary's protests as she pushed the girl behind her, her gun up and pointed at the offending voice. At first, Teigen felt a tinge of regret as she pulled her gun out, but now that she was looking at the stranger who spoke, she was convinced she had made the right move. 

The taller of the three strangers was currently aiming a deadly-looking arrow at her as his shorter, blond friend repeated his question. "Hey! Mundane!" He stepped forwards but stepped back and threw his hands up when Teigen switched her target to him before he continued in a calmer, more wary tone. "I believe my partner asked you a question." 

Teigen eyed him and the one whose aim had not wavered since drawing his bow. "I could ask you the same question." 

Laughing serenely at the two boys whose frowns had deepened, the dark-haired female stepped forward and dropped the snake-shaped whip she had at her side and gestured to herself. "I'm Isabelle, this is Jace and my older brother Alec." Gesturing to the one holding the bow, Alec, and the blond, Jace, to lower their weapons, she turned back to Teigen and raised her perfectly shaped eyebrow, giving Teigen a chance to introduce herself and shake the hand offered.

Teigen hesitantly checked to make sure the safety of her weapon was still on, then holstering it and shaking Isabelle's hand. "...Teigen. Teigen Fray." Releasing Isabelle's hand, Teigen stepped back, making the gesture for sit and scratching Rosco's head in reward once he complied. 

Once she stepped back, Clary raced over to Jace, reassuring Jace that she was okay in whispered reassurances as Teigen watched on with a frown on her face. 

"So this is where you've been for three days." Clary looked back at Teigen in shock. 

"What do you mean three?" Clary turned back to Jace with a frown. "You said that I was only out for two?" 

Teigen froze. "What do you mean 'I was only out for two days?' Clary what the hell is going on?!" Raising her voice a bit as the tension grew, Teigen stepped forward and felt a tug in her gut as she continued. "I was out of my mind for three days since you and mum went missing, not finding any trace of you until now when this mysterious stranger comes to my door and miraculously convinces me to come to his flat with him to meet people who could've been serial killers for all I know, only to find out that you've been here the entire time?!"

Rosco, sensing her rising panic and aggravation, stood up and nudged Teigen's hand, reminding her to take deep breaths. 

Clary went to speak, stepping forward and reaching out to Teigen who jerked away. Biting her lip, Teigen held a hand up. "I thought you and mum were dead. I saw the loft go up in flames and Jackson told me that they couldn't find either of you." Teigen turned her head away from Clary, furiously wiping the moisture from her eyes with her sleeve. 

"Teigen." Clary's heart sob was difficult to ignore. The pleading tone, begging Teigen to just look at her, to allow her to fix her mistake, but Teigen continued without looking at the shorter girl. 

"The fact that you just told me that you have been supposedly unconscious for two of those three days means that you've had at least thirty-six hours to contact me and tell me that you are alive and safe." 

Clary was full-on sobbing at this point, tears streaming down her face as she listened to the lecture that she was being given. Magnus had left a long time ago, watching the exchange from his kitchen, a martini in his hand as Teigen ranted, carefully watching as plumes of darkness began to collect around her clenched fists from the corners and edges of the room where the light didn't quite reach.