twelve: memories

"Grayson!" Valerie laughed, watching him jump down an entire flight of stairs, tripping and crashing into the wall at the bottom. You're so stupid!"

"It's fun!" He defended, grinning. "We can't get hurt, remember? C'mon, dollface."

"I know it's boring in here, but I think this proves you've finally lost it," she snorted, walking down the stairs to meet him. "But you're in a surprisingly good mood today."

Grayson shrugged, interlocking his fingers with hers. They'd just slept together for the first time yesterday... and he was still feeling pretty happy after it. It was a new step for them, and while it was definitely rough being in this situation, he was glad to have Valerie. Grayson was getting closer to her than he wanted, but he was actually okay with it.

"Am I not allowed to be happy?" He asked, raising a brow.

Valerie rolled her eyes as he dragged her down the hallway. "You know what I meant. I'm glad you're in a good mood, it's just, y'know, unusual since you usually prefer to be an ass."

Her tone was teasing as she smiled at him. Grayson just pulled her in close, staring down into her eyes. He felt a tinge of pride when her breath got caught in her throat.

"Just happy to have you wrapped around my fucking finger, dollface."

Grayson leaned in teasingly close, letting his lips brush hers briefly before pulling away with a smirk. As he walked in the other direction, Valerie gaped at his back.

"I am so not wrapped around your finger!" She whined, chasing after him. "You're like... the most annoying guy I've ever met."

"Okay," he shrugs. "Still had my dick in you."

Valerie narrowed her eyes, but it was obvious to both of them that it was still playful. "Your dick is the only thing you have going for you, Grayson. Your ego gets in the way of everything else."

"Hey! I think my face is pretty good too," Grayson laughed. "C'mere, Val. Lemme make it up to you."

He pulled the girl in for a deep, sweet kiss. Valerie melted into it, placing one of her hands on the side of his face, his teeth sinking into her bottom lip.

Grayson wakes up covered in a layer of sweat, his mind running in circles. That wasn't the first dream he's had about that girl. They always felt so real to him. But they didn't make any sense either.

It was always just the two of them in the hospital--no one else there could see them. She did say they knew each other but he found it hard to believe that any of those memories were real. Especially the one he'd had the night before, of them meeting this odd man called Zero.

They didn't seem to come in any specific order either, so he just told himself it was weird dreams. Valerie has been on his mind a lot, he's been trying to figure out how they knew each other. That had to be it.

After taking a shower, he stumbles out into the kitchen where Ethan is eating a bowl of cereal and scrolling through his phone. He mumbles a good morning to his brother, grabbing some fruit salad.

"Earth to Grayson? Dude. Asshole, are you even listening to me?" Ethan scoffs.

"Sorry, I was... I'm listening now," Grayson sighs. His mind wandered to her again, like it always seemed to these days.

"What's up with you? Are you sure you're okay? You've been spacing out a lot lately," his brother frowns.

Grayson bites his lip. "Honestly, I've just been having some weird dreams. No big deal."