Chapter 62: The Bachelor

Start from the beginning

"Help a charity?" Ryder pointed out.

Carrie waved a hand nonchalantly and added, "That, too. By the way, did you talk to your band? Can they perform?"

"I talked to John," Ryder began, "who said that Mandy went out of town for a photoshoot in New York and that Sam managed to screw something up in the gas pipelines of their apartments just hours after she left. So he's more concerned about getting a roof to sleep under first than playing at the benefit. But I'm sure he'll get that sorted and it's a yes from the rest of us."

"Yay!" Carrie cheered. She jumped up and kissed him on the cheek, exclaiming, "You're the best boyfriend ever!" After spotting a few other jocks rounding the corner she said, "Ooh! I should go double-check with some of them. See you at lunch!" 

"I can't, I have—" Ryder began, only to find that she was out of earshot. "—glee club..." he finished quietly, sighing and walking away on his own. Luckily, he wouldn't have to deal with her very much after that.

***

"Welcome back seniors," Will said excitedly as he saw a few of them walk into the choir. With everyone already there, he turned to the girls and said, "You all had something planned?"

The girls remained put, though Shana raised a hand to start the music. Kitty and Bree looked around in confusion, unaware of what was happening

["How Ya Doin'?" by Little Mix ft. Missy Eliott.]

Shana and Amity: Hey, how ya doin'? Sorry you can't get through. Why don't you leave your name and your number? And we'll get back to you.

When a few of the other girls joined in on the harmonies from their seats, Bree and Kitty gave each other looks and crossed their arms in the same, angry manner.

Marley: Ohh
Shana, Amity, and Harmony: Hey, how ya doin'? Sorry you can't get through. Why don't you leave your name and your number? And we'll get back to you.

Shana stood up and began walking towards the center. Bree felt this was to be expected at this point—she had no doubt that the girl had planned a number exclusively to exclude her and the other Cheerios.

Shana: Ain't got no time for what you think can be described as love. I've cut your hold on me, you're missing me, I've had enough. It's been so long since you have treated me like I deserved.

However, from her seat, Julie joined in and they wondered whether this was spontaneous or planned out.

Shana (Julie): So long (long...) baby I'm gone (gone...) you can leave a message for me after the tone (ohh!)

Amity jumped out of her seat and surprised everyone by how into the song she was as she joined her friend up front.

Amity: You called, I missed it. You called, I missed it. You called, and I missed it. Never get back, gettin' tired of listenin'!

The girls, with the exception of Unique and the Cheerios, sang from their various spots in the room. Bree rolled her eyes when she saw how into it the guys seemed. If she'd been invited to participate in what appeared to be an impromptu performance, she would've done a much better job.

Girls (Julie): Hey, how ya doin'? (doin') Sorry you can't get through. Why don't you leave your name and your number? And we'll get back to you. Hey, how ya doin'? (doin') Sorry we don't mean to be rude. Why don't you leave your name and your number? And we'll get back to you. I know that you keep calling my phone. But baby there ain't nobody home. So won't you leave your name and your number. And we'll get back to you!