Chapter 62: The Bachelor

Start from the beginning

Julie rolled her eyes, though she did smile a bit as she retorted, "That's one way to earn the actual title of girlfriend." Bree chuckled, bested by her friend's wits, and Kitty's ears felt extremely hot suddenly. How could they even joke about that at this point? And in front of her?

"Let me just get straight to it," Sue began, not finding amusement in their amicable banter. "Nationals is just weeks away and the Cheerios have to redeem themselves."

"Sue," Kitty spoke up, "we're a lot more focused this year and we're already said to be the favorites for—"

"Oh, Kitty..." Sue sighed. "That's said every year. And it has nothing to do with your talent, so much as the fact that the world loves me, specifically the cheerleading world. But the truth is, that your team is nowhere as good as the ones I've had in the past. You lack the sauciness of one Santana Lopez, though at least none of you have those massive sandbags weighing you down, and you don't have any idea how much I wanted someone willing to be launched out of a rocket this year."

The girls turned and looked at each other, having no clue how to respond to that. 

"Face it, ladies," Sue continued, "the only thing that makes this group a possible standout is the talent you three have." Julie looked up, surprised, while the other two smiled as though they'd known that all along. "So this is what we're going to do. You three are my seniors. And granted Carrie's been with the squad since her freshman year, kissing up to Q, dancing with Sandbags and Tweedledum in that lousy all-girl glee club they formed only to lose out to a group that didn't even have enough members just a few weeks later... I just don't think her vocals are up to the challenge."

"Wait..." Bree interjected. "You want us to sing at Nationals?"

Sue smiled, a wicked smile on her face as she said, "Not 'us.' Just one of you." She chuckled and said, "Oh, now you stop smiling, eh? But I thought you were all about the spotlight, Bree! This is what's going to happen. The three of you will meet me here after school on Friday and show me who is a better performer all-around."

"Friday's the auction," Julie reminded her.

"And you'll go to that," Sue shrugged, "after someone in here has crushed the other two. Now get out of my sight."

The girls rushed out of the office and began to walk to class together. "So are we really doing this?" Kitty asked nervously.

"Of course we are!" Bree exclaimed. "Or, at least I am. I have to redeem myself after what happened last year. Besides, Sue will find a way to force us, so it's better to just go in voluntarily and keep our heads up. Let's play along, fair and square."

"OK," Julie sighed, shaking her head. "Sure. Hey, did anybody catch what Coach said about Carrie being in the Troubletones?"

"Is that what she said?" Kitty asked. "I thought she was talking about getting boob jobs and then she totally lost me." The girls laughed and hugged their way to class, the Three Musketeers together once again.

***

Ryder rounded the corner of a hall after class only to spot Carrie talking to Stefan. He watched them for a moment and then walked over to them just in time for Stefan to nod at her and walk away.

"Hi," he said, his eyes on Stefan as the latter disappeared into the crowd. "What did he want?"

"Oh, I was just going over some points for the auction," Carrie grinned, carelessly flinging her arm around his and beginning to walk. "I'm so excited. Jake's doing all the research and writing our report and stuff and I get to just relax and set people up with each other and collect their cash and—"