Forgetting Arlo (1)

Start from the beginning

I think the rogue is long gone. Rogues aren't stupid. They know that we would expect it to return. It would be foolish to return.

Talia visits me every day. Sometimes she will sit down and talk to me about her day. Other times she will just sit in silence, letting me get lost in my thoughts. I'm grateful she's doing it, but I wish she wouldn't. I hate the pity in her eyes. I don't want her pity. I don't want anyone's pity.

Shortly after the rejection, my parents called me to their house. They said it was an 'intervention'.

My father told me I had two options. One, I could sit around moping all day. Or two, I could either chase after my mate or find a new one.

I blew up in his face when he mentioned finding a new mate. I made the mistake of denying my mate—I am not going to do that again. I know Lily will return. I know she will be back one day. She will see the mistake she made and will come back to me. Some may say I'm delusional for thinking this, but I call it hope.

Since then, I have avoided any talks with my father.

A sharp knock at the door alerts me of someone's presence. Begrudgingly, I sit up in my chair and make myself more presentable. Sniffing the area, I snap my eyes to the door when I realize it's Talia.

"You missed Art again," She states as soon as she enters the room. Her brown eyes immediately land on me and my dishevelled form. A frown mars her beautiful face. The face I used to love. She sighs and combs a hand through her wavy hair. "Arlo, you have to stop moping around. You're going to get kicked out if you continue to skip lessons."

I shrug my shoulders, apathetically.

She releases an aggravated sigh and drags her eyes away from me.

"Look, I know it's hard, but you need to stop feeling sorry for yourself!" She says, exasperated. Talia used to come in here to comfort me. She would sit down and hug me. But these past few weeks, she's been getting fed up with my lack of care. She wants me to 'seize the day'.

I lift my eyes to hers. "You don't know what it feels like, Talia. You haven't experienced this before. You have a mate that cares about you." I retort, bitterly.

She arches an unimpressed eyebrow at me. Her lips turn downwards, and her body stature morphs into one of anger.

"The reason it's working between Arden and me is that he didn't flat out ignore me for months!" She yells, furiously.

As soon as she said it, her face falls and her heart rate increases. Regret flashed in her brown orbs.

"I'm sorry, Arlo. I didn't mean it like that," She apologizes, softly.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I blink away the tears that threaten to spill. "No, you're right. It's my fault this happened."

Talia sends me a sympathetic glance. That glance causes my stomach to stir with resentment. I don't want people looking at me like that. It's my fault I'm in this mess. It's not like I was cursed. I don't deserve it.

"Arlo, I'm just trying to say that if you want to get Lily back, this isn't the way." She comments.

I know. God, I know.

"What do I do then? How am I supposed to get her back?" I question her, desperate to find an answer.

Talia takes a seat on the sofa opposite me and clasps her hands together. She blows out a breath, causing a strand of her to be misplaced.

"We'll work out the logistics later. Right now, you need to get better. You haven't been eating or sleeping properly. I need you to focus on your health first." She explains, giving me a meaningful look.