Forgetting Arlo (1)

Start from the beginning

Thinking about food causes my stomach to rumble.

"Let's get you some food," Talia suggests, concerned.

Before I can argue, she's forcing me up and towards the door.

The hallways are quiet. Most people have gone to tea by now. Beside me, Talia hums a familiar tune. A lullaby. I remember my mother singing that to me when I was little. It would always calm me down.

When we reached the dining room, I became aware of all the eyes on me. One pair of eyes stuck out from the crowd though—Trinity's eyes. Surprisingly, she has stayed away from me since Lily's departure. I think she can tell I'm not in the mood at all. Even she's not that stupid.

"I hate their eyes on me," I murmur to her. She purses her lips together in understanding. As the future Luna of the pack, she always has eyes on her. She is being watched twenty-four seven. If she makes a mistake, everyone will see.

Arden and Cabe are already at the table, waiting for us. Arden appears shocked that I'm here. His wide eyes examine me from head to toe.

"How are you, brother?" He asks me, the worry as clear as day in his eyes.

I shrug my shoulders as I sit down at the table. Cabe gives me a respectful nod when I glance at him.

"There's a pack meeting tomorrow night. Will you be attending?" Arden asks me instead, the hope of me attending clear in his voice.

"I don't know." Comes my short reply.

Arden's features harden as he tries to control his anger. He has always had a temper—a temper he has no control over. It's his worst flaw.

"Stay cool," Talia whispers to Arden, gently placing a hand on top of his. Arden drags his eyes to her and stares into her eyes. They communicate over their private mind link for a few moments.

Arden eventually turns his attention back to me and releases a tensed breath. "Arlo, I understand you're hurting right now but you can't just forget about your responsibilities. Whether you like it or not, you are the future Beta of this pack. We need you. I need you."

My brother's eyes plead with mine. I have never seen Arden desperate before. He believes its weak. So, seeing him like this now tells me a lot. Arden is struggling to keep things under control, and he's worried our father will have to step in. If our father steps in, it will look bad on Arden. This rogue infiltration is Arden's responsibility. He has to bring justice.

I can't keep staring at him for too long. It causes unwanted guilt to rise in my stomach. "And I need her."

"Arlo, you will get her back. It will take time though. She needs to find out what she wants." Talia reminds me, calmly.

Clenching my teeth and fists, I fight the urge to slam my hands down on the table in frustration.

"Time. I have given her time." I claim, hotly.

She shakes her head, "Not enough."

Lily has been gone for two months—she has had no contact from me. Surely that's enough time to realize she needs me. Mates are meant to be together. I see that now. I was foolish to think otherwise before.

"How much time does she need?" I query, failing to see things in Talia's perspective. "Have you spoken to her? Do you know how long she's planning on staying there?"

Suddenly, Talia's demeanour changes. She nervously bites her bottom lip and avoids eye contact with me. I watch her strangely, curious about what she's hiding.

And then, it clicks. It's as if someone switches on a light bulb in my head and the idea pops into my mind. My heart pangs painfully at the thought and my wolf whimpers.

"She's not coming back here, is she?" I state, a matter of factly, searching for answers from any of them. I know they have all been in contact with Lily. They didn't want to tell me though, scared of how I will react.

Their silence is my answer.

If it's possible, it feels as though my heart is being ripped out of my chest. My chances of getting her forgiveness is slowing disappearing. My delusion that she will be running back to me is gone. And I'm faced with the harsh reality that I might have lost her forever.

Leaping to my feet, I storm out of the dining room, with Arden hot on my trail. I ignore his cries for me to stop and continue rushing through the school. I throw the doors to outside open and catch my breath.

Arden comes to a halt a few meters behind me and lets me have a moment.

I don't cry. I don't shout. I simply stand there, staring at the forest.

I don't know how long I spend staring at the forest. Arden seems to worry about it though because he approaches me cautiously.

"She misses you," Arden blurts out, causing me to stiffen.

Glancing over my shoulder at him, I check for any signs of deceit. "She does?"

He nods his head, maintaining eye contact with me. "Yes."

I am unbelievably happy that she misses me but also devastated that even though she misses me, she won't call or text me. It hurts. God, it hurts. This must have been what she felt all those times I was harsh to her.

"I want her back," I tell him, my voice cracking. "I want her back so badly."

Arden doesn't reply. He doesn't know how to answer to that.

My need for Lily is like his need for Talia. Arden can't function without Talia.

"We should get back inside," He says instead, placing a hand on my shoulder. Exhaling loudly, I nod my head and turn away from the forest.

We walk back to my room. I'm greeted by the same dreary walls. Sadness flows through my body as I think about all the times I spent with Lily in this room. My heart stings as the thoughts over wash me.

Arden sends me a worried glance, figuring out what I'm thinking. "Don't think like that. Think positively about the future."

I nearly snort at his comment.

"Future? Right now, it feels like I don't have a future." I tell him, honestly.

Arden purses his lips together. "You do, you just don't know it yet."