The child blinked innocently before grinning and nodded. "Yeah, I was supposed to wait for my uncle to come back from the hunt but I got bored. The other pups were sleeping so I wanted to see where you were. I didn't think we'd walk into Merikh though."

"Merikh?" Jack asked hesitantly at the flash of fear in his eyes. The child nodded and shuddered slightly. "The black wolf? He was a part of the pack once but left. I don't know why but uncle said it had something to do with wanting more than he earned?" He finished his sentence as a question, turning in Jack's lap to look at the door.

As Jack followed the boy's lead, he squeaked when he noticed the muscular man leaning against the door, arms crossed slightly and accentuating his bulging muscles. As soon as their eyes collided, the man's hazel eyes flashed golden while a slow smile slipped on his lips.

When the man pushed off of the door and stepped closer, Jack went to stumble backwards because even if these two strangers were both wolves, he knew unlike the whelp, the man was capable of harming him. His wrist burned softly, as if remembering Jack where exactly those sharp canines had pierced his tender flesh once before.

As if the man knew what he was thinking, he focused his attention first on the smaller boy and grinned softly before motioning towards the door. "Why don't you ask your mother about that tale? I need to speak with out guest for a moment." His golden eyes flitted back to the shivering man on the bed and he sighed warily.

"Merikh be damned to the deepest pits of Hell." He muttered under his breath as Jack swallowed harshly, watching the little boy wave at him as goodbye before it darted out of the room.

The werewolf was at least happy that Jack didn't faint again; it had been quite upsetting and a bit amusing to finally find your mate, only to have them faint dead away in your arms. At first he had been surprised and a bit pained, thinking that Jack didn't want him.

But, come to think of it, it was a normal reaction for a human. No doubt the villagers have filled his mind with lies and deceitful tales of his kind. Well, most of it; Merikh was the true example of the 'werewolf' the villagers sought out to destroy.

And now he had to reap the fruits of those lies by tiptoeing around this beauty and hopefully, earn his trust. He was pleasantly surprised though when Jack pushed himself up and stared straight at him, pinning him with those sharp blue eyes. "Who are you?"

With a soft chuckle, the man replied, voice tinged with amusement and annoyance at the same time. "My name is different in our language than yours, Jack. You can call me Kaiden, if you like." Kaiden was happy to see that Jack merely nodded, his eyes seemingly fixed on Kaiden's strong frame before the boy realized this and flushed brightly.

"I do have to apologize, it wasn't my intention to bite and mark your wrist when we first met...and I'm sorry about your mother. I was on Merikh's trail but..." Kaiden trailed off and walked closer when Jack nodded again and buried his face against his knees, hugging himself.

Silently the wolf walked closer and sat down gently before reaching out towards Jack. As their skin brushed, the first tears started to fall and Kaiden didn't hesitate to pull Jack closer, offering the comfort he desperately needed.

As Jack sniffed and cried softly, Kaiden brushed a tanned hand through his mop of white hair and down his spine, over and over again until the hiccups and bad memories slowly faded away.

"You're not...what I expected you to be." Jack murmured softly, breaking the pleasant silence. He quickly became aware that he was seated in Kaiden's lap, those strong arms caging him in as they had once before but again, Jack only felt comforted. Safe.

When Kaiden chuckled, small butterflies started to swirl in Jack's stomach while his ear was pressed against the bigger man's chest. "Yes, no doubt you'd think I was a savage beast, a monster that steals children out of their cradles, slaughters families and hunts man throughout the night. That's what the villagers thought you, am I right?"

The guilty flush was his answer and Kaiden snorted before shaking his head. "You'll need to learn more about the forest and what we truly are little one." He spoke softly as he reached for Jack's wrist and slowly pulled it closer.

Jack didn't object but he did whimper slightly when Kaiden gently tugged at his bandages, revealing the barely healed wound. Blue eyes warily watched as Kaiden took a deep breath and slowly pulled Jack's wrist closer, before he lapped at the wound.

He slightly cringed and scrunched his nose up but he watched in awe as the wound slowly seemed to look better, healthier, before it disappeared. Jack looked from his wrist up to Kaiden, again feeling that funny sensation in his belly as those golden eyes swirled with emotions that Jack couldn't quite put his finger on. All he knew was that those eyes and the look in them amplified the fuzzy and warm feeling in his gut.

A finger brushed over the soft skin of his throat before Kaiden closed Jack's mouth, smiling as the boy flushed before he grabbed his hand and pulled him up. "Come on, let's get some food in your stomach and some answers on all those questions. I can feel you nearly bursting with everything you want to know." Kaiden chuckled fondly.

Jack didn't hear; he was too busy staring at the warm golden skin that contrasted sharply against his own pale hand. Kaiden's thumb brushed soothingly over his knuckles and Jack bit his lip when the wolf pulled their intertwined hands up to place a tender kiss on the back of Jack's hand.

With another tug, Jack finally decided to trust the wolf and followed him. He was eager to learn more of the gorgeous man and why he felt this attracted to a stranger.