Alexander

Alexander

3 years later...

"Happy Birthday to you,

Happy Birthday to you,

Happy Birthday, dear Max

Happy Birthday to you.

May the good Lord bless you,

May the good Lord bless you..."

Today is Max's birthday.  Mom made sure Max took at least two weeks off to spend some time with the family. We are all in the living room surrounded by our aunt, uncles, and grandparents from both sides. Dad is holding the camera recording everything while Max stands in front of Oreo cookies and cream birthday cake with candles on top that mom baked.  On our birthday mom make us a homemade birthday cake. So this year is no different. I watched as mom standing next to Max singing happy birthday while holding Jabari who is sleeping in her arms. Suga Mama is on the other side of Max holding Christian while singing. Once the song is over Max smiles and blows out the candles and everyone claps in celebration. 

"Happy 23rd birthday baby," Mom says and leans in to give Max a kiss on the cheek. Mom dips her finger into the cake and puts whipped cream on Max's cheek. Max rolls his eyes at her and tries to push her hand away from his face. Everyone slowly wait their turn to personally say happy birthday to him. I wait until everyone is done to finally walk up to him.

"Happy birthday," I say opening my arms.

"Thanks." Max said as we lean into an awkward hug. Once we pull away mom tells everyone it's time to eat. We all gather around the dining table sit together. Mom and Suga Mama have made all of Max's favorite dishes. Max is the first to dig in.

"Alright, Max don't worry there is more." Auntie E says as she watches Max stuff his face.

"Ahhh" Jabari was starting to wake up from his nap.

"Okay baby," Mom says knowing it's time for him to eat. She positions herself to breastfeed him. At that same moment, Christian starts to wine too seeing his brother is now being fed.

"Come on, I know you can't eat without your brother," Mom says as Suga Mama gets up to hand over Christian to her. It amazes me how mom is able to breastfeed two babies at the same time. A month ago she gave birth to two healthy twin boys. You can imagine dad's face when he found out they were having twins. Like dad and me we were really hoping for a girl. Both of the boys look just like mom and they have her curls and beautiful light brown eyes. The twins do have some small features from dad like his ears and nose. But overall they both look like mom which isn't so bad. As everyone eating and sharing stories, dad comes over to sit next to mom. Seeing that she has been working since this morning to make sure Max's birthday party was ready he knew she was tried. As mom is breastfeeding dad tries his best to sneak in some food for her to eat as well. I love seeing mom and dad happy with each other. It's been four years since they got married and everything has been well. They both are successful and have done there best to be there for Max and I and now the twins.