Episode 3

4.42 AM, 19th March, 1542,

Somewhere on the Amazon river.

It was darker than a usual morning in the countryside he was used to. But, it wasn’t new to an explorer like him.

          “May be that’s because of the thick canopies and tall foliage obstructing the light”

         Everything was perfect with the water steadily moving downstream and nothing to worry about. He was lazily lying in his pilot cabin and lost in his own thoughts, remembering each and every event during his course through the middle of that unknown territory.

       Those few months of his voyage from Spain to the Amazon basin were his most exciting days ever. Francisco De Orellana, like every other explorer, was discouraged by the native Americans when they heard of his plans to explore the unknown and mysterious marsh lands. He was warned by his new friends in every way possible. None of the adventurers who went in, ever returned. He heard many dinner-time tales about a mysterious creature living on those lands that kills any intruder that enters into its territory. He heard of a curse that was spelled on the place and would bring bad luck to anyone who tries to go in there.

       The most interesting rumour of all that kindled his spirit to go in was when his new friend, Carlton Rooseman, said “They say that the creature guards a treasure that when touched blesses you with immortality.”

      “Francis, please listen to me. Don’t venture into that land. You’ll never come back alive.” said Carlton trying to stop his new Spanish friend.

      “Carlton, thank you for all the advice. But, I ought to do this. This is probably the purpose of my life as an explorer. I should break this mystery, whatever that giant river withholds. Trust me, I will come back.” assured Francis with a fake smile in an attempt to hide his fear.   

         *Thud*

       Francis snapped out of his long thoughts and shouted “Who is it?”, but in vain.

      He couldn’t see anyone. He walked on to the front deck and all he found was a broken branch. He dismissed it, assuming it to be natural in a forest of that size. But, there was something he missed because of the low light conditions. He failed to observe the edge of the branch, which was intentionally cut.

      Suddenly, he observed that his boat was gaining speed and got back to the deck. He could hear a rumble but couldn’t figure out what it was.

      “No, no, no, no.” He mumbled and started running up and down the boat the moment he realised that it’s a waterfall. He got back to the cockpit for an attempt to steer away from the waterfall. But it was too late for that. His boat was already speeding beyond control. He reached the abyss and all he could see were clouds of mist curtained in front of him.

     He gave up hope when he knew that nothing could be done to save himself. He closed his eyes and prayed for one last time. The boat slipped from the edge of the waterfall and was in air for 4 long seconds before it reached the ground and shattered into pieces, scattering the debris all around. 

      Varun just couldn’t believe what he saw there. He was shocked and started running into the forest. He limped as fast as he could until his legs gave up. He thought he was running away from danger, but didn’t realise that he was running into the lap of danger. He collapsed under a tree and couldn’t forget what he saw on the bodies of those creatures.