CHAPTER 1 - THE PROPOSITION

Beginne am Anfang

"At least I show up with a date."

"Well, those days are over. You are going to have a respectable companion from this day forward. I am tired of your name being on everyone's lips for all the wrong reasons. I worked too hard to build this empire for you to make a mockery of it."

"And where do you suppose I find this 'special' girl dad?" Max replied growing irritated.

"I could go downstairs right now and pick a girl off of the street who would be of higher quality than the mess you have been showing up with."

"It's not like I am marrying them."

"I'll tell you what son, I will choose for you."

At this point Max was standing to his feet he was so angry. The thought of his dad picking who he was going to date was hilarious to me. It was high time someone whipped him into shape.

"Dad, you cannot just demand that I date someone you choose and you certainly can't just pick them off of the street."

His dad stood to his feet matching Max's intensity.

"You think I can't? I hate to break it to you son, but without my money you have nothing."

Max was beginning to shout.

"This is completely unreasonable!"

"Unreasonable you say? Well, watch this. Sweetheart, can you come over here?" He said as he motioned toward me.

I looked at him confused. Was he talking to me?

"Yes sweetheart, I would like to speak with you."

I walked toward him hesitantly wondering what I could have to do with their conversation.

"Darlin, I have watched you clean up after my son for a while now and you have just the kind of character he needs in his life."

I began stumbling over my words, he was sweet and all but had he lost his mind?

"Sit down with me, dear," he insisted and I took a seat across from him. Mr. Livingston was not exactly the kind of man you argued with. He commanded respect just by walking into a room.

"Lillie is it?"

I nodded my head in agreement as Max began unraveling.

"I understand we are paying you $500.00 per week to clean this mess of an apartment. I would like to propose a pay raise of sorts. I will pay you $4000.00 per week provided you agree to go to events with my son. I will, of course, provide an entire new wardrobe for you as well."

I was dumbfounded and didn't have a clue how to respond to his proposition.

"With all due respect Mr. Livingston, I don't think I am the right girl the job. I think the kind of girl you are looking for went to prep school and an Ivy League College."

He placed his hand over mine to reassure me.

"Well, sweetheart that hasn't worked out for him so far. Just because they have an Ivy League degree doesn't mean they have common sense or morals."

I was beginning to realize that he was serious. As I was contemplating the insanity he was laying out before me, Max's best friend Chase walked in. He was the exact opposite of Max, he acted like a normal human, warm heart and all. I was a little embarrassed that he had walked in on such an absurd conversation. He seemed to sense the tension in the air and took a seat, remaining quiet.

"Mr. Livingston, I wouldn't even know how to act at a social event, honestly I am not the right person," I insisted.

"Nonsense, you have character and that is what is important. You may be a little rough around the edges but that is solved easily enough. I have a lot of connections and we will make sure you are prepared."

I was contemplating how to politely turn him down for the umpteenth time when Max finally blew. He began pacing and shouting like a lunatic.

"No way, absolutely not! Dad, she is a maid. She cannot do it, she cannot do it!"

When I heard those words it lit a fire in me. So Mr. Sloppy thought he was too good to be seen with me. "We'll see about that," I thought to myself. I extended my arm to shake Mr. Livingston's hand. When he shook it, he had a smile on his face.

"I accept," I said loudly as I stared directly at Max.

*******

A/N

Thanks for reading the first chapter of Taming Max. I have been working on several story lines and this is the one that has really stuck with me. I hope you enjoyed it and will read on.