Chapter 8

Gym class.

Dash loved it.

Vanellope could manage. 

They ran a mile, Dash coming in second like he usually did. The teachers thought that it was an awful coincidence that he has to suffer through, and it must do horrible things to Dash's mental health.

It didn't.

Vanellope personally thought that if a track existed, it should have no other purpose than to race cars on. But she ran, because she wanted to see how fast she was compared to the other kids. She ran three out of four laps and was doing pretty well, but when she was starting on her fourth lap, she had a sudden urge to beat everyone. There were only two people in front of her: Talia, and Dash, who wasn't even breaking a sweat. 

Obviously, beating Talia felt good.

She ran up alongside Dash as they were nearing the finish line. "Let me guess, it's your...second lap?"

"Last. You?"

"Last. You're fast, too?"

"Faster than you, I bet."

"You're on, Vanellope."

They ran head to head for a straight ten seconds, then they were only a few feet away from the end. Vanellope did NOT like losing. Dash did not like coming in second if he didn't have to. Vanellope pulled through and won.

The teacher looked at her disbelievingly. Dash had been replaced in the spot of her favorite student. 

{ In the locker room }

A girl in their gym class, Erin, came up to Vanellope and congratulated her on her win,(apparently races were a big deal there...?) and asked if she wanted to sit with her and her friends during lunch. Vanellope accepted, but said she would be a little late, she got lost easily.

{ After gym, lunch }

Talia was ready to kill. A girl in her friend group who she HATED, Erin, just decided that she would invite VANELLOPE, of all people, to sit at their table. And it was her first day, so she would feel the need to keep sitting there. What was she going to do?

Vanellope just wanted to get through the day at this point.

As she walked over to her table where she recognized Erin and a bunch of other kids who looked nice enough. Erin waved her over.

Vanellope took a seat. "Hi, I'm Vanellope."

"Jeff." a skinny boy with tainted pink hair nodded at her. 

"Johnny." A jock, with kind of dark skin and spiky hair didn't even look up from his phone.

"Omg, hi, I'm Julia!" a short haired, energetic girl abandoned everything to get up and greet her.

"Jade." She looks nice. Vanellope remarked to herself. She had deep brown hair that was pulled back into a half-up-half-down bun, sparkling blue eyes, and a smile that never seemed to go away.

"I'm Fawn!" She looked just as a fawn would, straw hair and freckles, large brown eyes and a glow of innocence around her. 

"I'm Finn, you're cute. We should hang out sometime." He was very cocky, anyone could tell. 

"We've met." Talia and Dash said at the same time, but in completely different tones. Her's was more of a grumble. 

"And I'm Erin!" Erin exclaimed.

They laughed and talked, Finn constantly hitting on her. "Does he always do this?" Vanellope whispered to Jade. "It only lasts for a while if you shoot him down quick." she said. Somehere along the conversation Dash brought up that they were living together, and the table suddenly went silent. Jeff wiggled his eyebrows. Dash turned bright red.

"Shut up, you dirty minded prick!" he smacked him in the back of the head. Fawn looked confused. Erin gasped and covered Fawn's ears.

"She's too innocent, cut it out!"

"I didn't even say anything!" Jeff protested. Before Dash could retort, the bell rang loudly, it was time for their next class. Dash took off with Johnny, glaring at Jeff.

"Well, Vanellope, it was good to meet you!" Julia said cheerfully.

"Okay, we'll meet you here same time tomorrow, V!" Erin smiled, leaving with Julia.

"Or not." Talia said haughtily, not bothering to lower her voice.

"What is her problem?" Vanellope murmured to herself after watching her saunter away, catching the attention of Jade, who was still packing her things up.

"Oh, she loooooves Dash. And by the looks of it , so do you. Call me when you guys fight. Or maybe Finn and Dash will fight over you. Oh, how I love public displays of embarrassment." she sighed happily, handing Vanellope her number.

"Whatever. What class do I have now...?" Vanellope wondered, looking through her bag. She found her crumpled schedule in a small pocket, pulling it out triumphantly. "Uhhh...we just had lunch period so...I have...math next. Oh god. What's your next class, Jade?"

"Math." she sighed. She responded so quickly, Vanellope was shocked.

"You've memorized it already?!" she asked in disbelief. "It's the first day!"

"Nah, normally I wouldn't have, don't sweat it. It's just that nothing ever changes around here, including the class orders." she laughed, slinging her bag over her shoulder and beckoning for Vanellope to follow her.

"What do you mean nothing ever changes?" the black haired girl asked, getting more and more confused.

"Well, it's been the same kids since kindergarten, so everyone knows each other. Everyone in our friend group has liked each other at some point, you know? Finn and Fawn only lasted for one class period." Jade recalled, cracking up. Vanellope laughed, she couldn't even picture that happening, they must've been really bored.

"Um...you said that everyone dated-or at least tried to?" Vanellope asked catiously.

"Yup." Jade said, turning a corner.

"What about Dash and Talia?" she asked, trying and failing to sound nonchalant. 

"I see youuu, V! Unfortunately for you, they stayed together for almost a year. Heard it really pissed off his sister. They broke it off right before last summer, though it wasn't mutual. Talia, to this day, is crazy about Dash. He gave her the whole summer to cool off, but she still hasn't."

"Oh..." Vanellope said, still trying to comprehend what Jade had just said. She talked really fast. They turned the last corner to math class, opened the door, and prepared to suffer.

sHe'S aLivE

I'm seriously really sorry for making you guys wait for so long.

-Izzie