2

A shadow passed across the elder's face. "A few symphs took the privilege of joining in our services as confirmation they too bore the divine image. More disturbingly, they sowed dissension among their brethren—advocating for rights and duties belonging solely to the children of God. They created doubt among the faithful and instability within society." He raised his bottle once more, drained it, and let it float free.

The serving tray next to the ambassador moved smoothly through the air, performed an acrobatic flip, and aligned itself perfectly to catch the metallic bottom of the bottle with one of the magnetic regions on it's own surface.

A disembodied voice asked "Would you care for another?" The elder smiled and selected a new bottle of the brown liquid. The tray quietly assumed a waiting position by his elbow.

"Eventually, the dissident group and their followers took over a remote research facility, declaring it a free colony of the symph people," his voice held a slight sneer. "We believe it was the concentration of so many in one place that led to the resurgence of a dormant disease. The devout are convinced it was also a warning against violating the natural order."

"But," asked the ambassador, "how did the disease spread to the rest of the symphalan population? You describe this group as isolated."

"Not completely, though that would have been preferable. Despite our best efforts, there were always some who managed to travel back-and-forth between their 'colony' and the major cities."

"Your best efforts?"

"Obviously, we responded to such an act of insurrection."

"Using what methods?"

The elder's eyes narrowed. "Our measures were quite just. We were very aware of our mandate to care for all Creation. This was when the Church took up the mantel of protector," he motioned to the insignia on his uniform, "and we chose 'Dominion' as the new name of our world, so as not to forget our divine responsibility."

"You said this happened almost half a century ago. You were not an elder then. How sure are you of the motives of those in charge? It is not unknown for governments to take draconian action in the face of civil unrest."

His face colored.

"Are you implying," he said in measured tones, "that we did not properly care for the sick and dying?"

"It would not be a first for humanity--and it would have been a simple solution to your problem."

"Your arrogance and your ignorance are insulting." His lips were a thin white, blotchy line. "Do you think we were spared the plague that took the symphs? We were also judged."

His forgotten bottle cartwheeled slowly away; the tray moved to intercept.

"Judged for what?"

"For allowing our charges to get out of control. For dereliction of our duty. For our failure to rule."

The tray had retrieved the bottle. At the ambassador's silent instruction, it jetted to her and she surrendered her half-finished tea. The disembodied voice inquired "Will either of you need further refreshment?" Both declined.

"Is the infection fatal?," the ambassador asked.

"No, but it is persistent and painful. We bear it in humility, a reminder of where we have fallen short. Many look to your arrival with hope. Perhaps you bring some new insight which will allow us to cure our affliction."

"Is that what you seek in an update to your datastore?"

"Some of us hope for more. The knowledge to restore the symphs, but freed from the corruption which caused their rebellion."