Memories: Chapter 1

“With love you get to find out about a person first. Being soulmates is involuntary—you don’t even have to like the person when you meet them. They may be completely wrong for you every way—wrong species, wrong temperament, wrong age. But you know you’ll never be completely happy again without them.”

  — Rowan Redfern, Night World: Daughters of Darkness

 *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

I lay down in my bed thinking. Thinking the same thoughts I'd been thinking for the past five months. I lay there, eyes wide open, eyes that had been sleep deprived since... . 

I sat up on my bed and ran a hand threw my messy, red hair. I got up place my feet on the cold, hard, tiled floor, to walk to the window-sill and sit down. The moon's light shined down on the lake in my back yard. Cat tails and lilies floated on the surface, bobbing up and down, moving just the slightest to the breezes lovely melody that played in the sky. The mid-November air fogged my windows and made the trees sway at its cool touch. I envied them, each and every single one. 

I looked up at the moon - it was so lucky. They all were. The moon, it was surrounded by so many stars, those stars that twinkled with bright, luminescent delight that filled that big midnight sky. The occasional clouds that turned from white to gray accompanied him too. He would never be alone; even when he went away they'd follow. The trees had their leaves, the birds, the squirrels, and any other animal passing by. The wind was an ally to them but still- that counted as something. Unlike me. The lake had the water, and the water had its ripples and the lake had them too. They had the fishes, and the frogs, and the tadpoles, the ducks, and the cat tails and the lilies, which rested on their pads. The lake had it all - and they all had each other. I, on the other hand... had none. No one. Nothing. I used to, though. But it all left, five months ago.

On that day . . . that one day . . . five months back...

I dragged one leg up to rest on the window-sill with me, wrapping my arm around its rough but cozy texture of the long pants that cover the real thing, and laying my forehead on my knee. No matter how hard I tried the memory wouldn't go away. No matter how much I wanted it to - and believe me, I did - it wouldn't; it couldn't. I closed my eyes and tried to clear my head of all thoughts. Notice the word “tried” as in, I tried, but I failed. 

Everything had changed... 

Since that one day...

That day...

The day that changed my life...

Forever.