Chapter 2: Spice, Ice, and a Bit of Sugar

Harry knew that he shouldn't sneak up on a very grumpy professor crying over a girl. But Snape was a git. He deserved the girl to dump him. He deserved every bad thing. That's what Harry thought. He crept up behind Snape, still hidden beneath the cloak, then suddenly swung the lantern under the cloak. 
    He expected Snape to say, "Potter, detention!" But he merely glanced around, let out a little yelp, and put on a tough face, even though Harry could see right through him, and sense his feelings. All of a sudden, Harry regretted the fright he gave Snape. Instead, he swung the Cloak off and stood facing Snape. 
  "Potter," whispered Snape. "Out in the night. What do you think you are doing on the second floor corridor at one in the morning?" Snape's voice sent shivers down his spines, as usual. But this time, Harry could also hear a little quiver in his voice. 
              Harry bravely stood in front of Snape. "What do you think you are doing? Why aren't you in bed, like the other teachers?"
     "You dare," hissed Snape. "How like your father you are. Sneaking around at night with a goddamn invisibility cloak. I am a teacher; I am permitted to be wherever I shall at whatever time when I want unless Headmaster Dumbledore says specifically not to go there. You, on the other hand, aren't even a prefect. You're a student up to no good. I'm asking you the question, now answer me Potter!" His voice became a snarl, but it instantly was lost, because Severus had once again looked into those emerald green eyes that were supposed to be Lily's. They didn't belong to Potter. He was just like his father, and whoever was a Potter did not deserve the beautiful eyes. 
             Harry shrugged. "Well, I guess you could say I had a dream about Mum and I woke up and I couldn't sleep. I looked on the map and saw you were here, not moving. I was wondering if you were dead." Severus snorted. A likely tale.
                "Now you have to answer my question, professor," he said. "I do not 'have to', Potter," said Severus. Like father, like son. "But I will," he mumbled. "I'm here to take a nightly walk."
              "Nightly walks aren't supposed to be sitting down," Harry pointed out. Severus glared. "Sit down," he ordered. "Tell me about your dream." "No," said Harry. He was not ever going to sit down leaning against the slimy, gross, walls of Hogwarts. Most importantly, the floors. "I know you have a love life, sir," said Harry pointedly.
             Severus froze. For once in his lifetime, he had no idea what to say. "Professor Snape, it's okay," soothed Harry. "You are not my mother!" snapped Severus. "Quiet, Potter! Nobody said I had a love life, how do you even know it's confirmed?" "Why did you stay so silent then when I mentioned it?"
             Snape sneered at him. "Fine then, I was trying to help!" yelled Harry, his voice echoing off the walls. He didn't care how loud it was, he didn't care that there were hundreds of students sleeping and that yelling would awake them. Snape had always been mean to Harry, and Harry guessed that that would never change. Snape was always going to be cold hearted and cruel. Severus Snape was never going to change; suddenly Harry doubted that he was crying over a girl. How could any girl love a man like that? That was probably the reasons why the girl had broken their relationship.
           He turned to go, but Severus's voice stopped him: "No, Potter. Stay."