Chapter VI: Curtain Call

"Hey, Stev-o!" he says, waving his hand. His hair is still short from when Bluebird attacked, but he seems to get along fine.

Steven doesn't reply. He just nods his head and goes inside the van to sit in the front.

"Hey, umm...." Greg stutters. He tries to think of the right words. "Is there somethin' bothering ya?"

Steven turns around to face him. He still hasn't said a word and yet, Greg knows something is wrong with his son.

"Alright," Greg says as he sits on the driver's seat beside Steven. "Tell me about it. Did some rogue gem attack you?"

Steven shakes his head.

"Did Amethyst eat a sandwich you had reserved for yourself? Believe me, the feeling is terrible." he says, trying to get his son to smile, at least.

Steven faces him again. His expression was still unchanged. Greg can see now that this is no time for jokes.

"Steven. If there's anything you need to get off your chest, you don't have to be afraid to tell me. I'm your dad, after all." Greg tells him.

"Have you ever felt like you've exhausted your worth?" Steven asks. "Like you try to do something, but other people are already doing it for you? What do you do then?"

Greg is a bit dumbfounded at his son's vocabulary. He attempts to say something, but he just stutters.

"Yeah." Steven says, smirking and sighing. "I knew it was only me. I mean, I saved the Galaxy and restored peace across it. I keep trying to help people, but they're moving on and taking care of themselves."

"And how is that a bad thing?" Greg asks. "Your friends are growing and learning. They can watch out for themselves just fine. You don't have to solve every problem you see."

Steven looks at the floor for a moment, then looks back at the sky.

"My mom didn't think that."

Greg is in complete silence. He knew that his son's problem had to do something with Pink Diamond, but hearing him say something like that leaves him in shock.

"She always knew what she was doing, all along." Steven says, sarcastically. "Every mistake she made piled up. She knew she was destined to be punished. So she had me. Her shield wasn't strong enough against Homeworld, so I was the best option."

Greg is now a bit surprised, but still understands Steven's situation. So he speaks up.

"Steven. You know your mom never actually meant to hurt anybody."

The next thing he sees is indescribable. Steven begins laughing and laughing. He has tears coming out of his eyes and keeps laughing. Greg notices Steven's body is slowly glowing pink.

"You mean that she didn't mean to hurt Spinel when she abandoned her in the garden? You mean she didn't hurt her Pearl so bad she suffered from trauma as we speak? Don't try to play as you knew her inside and out, dad. You only met her because you were the first human she ever met. She could have fallen in love with any human and you were the lucky number! She has hurt people, dad. Badly. And I was left to pick up the pieces!"

Greg can feel the van get a bit tighter and sees that Steven's expression has changed from laughing to raging.

"She never cared about anyone! She only used people and then threw them away when they served their purpose!"

"SHE"

"WAS"

"A"

"TERRIBLE PERSON!!!"

The entire van caves in. Greg can feel his left leg get stuck in-between the seat and the pedal and Steven quickly pulls him out before he gets hurt.

Steven gasps and pants. He's laying on the floor next to his father. He turns to look at him and finds out that he's passed out.

He does not even think twice and runs back home. He nearly killed another one of his loved ones again. Coming here was a mistake.

He arrives at the beach house to see Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl are gathered in the living room. Waiting for him.