Chapter One

'The climate. It's getting worse and worse. The change I mean. The hot temperatures might be fun for a few days, but after that? Here in the Netherlands we've already experienced heat waves. They are cool at first, but the longer they last, the worse they get.

The plants need water. We need water. The ground needs water. Every living thing needs water. So when we have a heat wave, even in the land of the water -as you could put it- , we get a shortage of water. Because, you know, it doesn't rain very much during a heat wave.

During the summer holidays, my family and I went on a vacation to The United States. We had a great time there and, of course, it was hot there too. We had gone to Death Valley you know. Then that's what you get.

My aunt would take care of the plants and stuff and she would take care of our buxi. We had a few nice buxi. But, when we got home after the long trip from the US to here, our buxi were dead. They were yellow, instead of green, and completely dry. This wasn't my aunt's fault or anything -she wasn't even there the whole time we were gone- , but it was the heat wave. It just must have been.

So next time you take a shower or eat meat, think about the climate first. And this ain't everything you can do about it. Quite the contrary. There is so much more you can do to help reduce the climate change. The future starts here and maybe it will end here too.

Come to the Malieveld at the 21st of february. The protests will take place there. We are trying to get as much people possible so please. Come. It starts at ten a.m. See you there.

That was my speech. Any questions?'

I say while breathing heavily and looking into the classroom. In the back my friends are beaming at me with proud and encouragement.

'Wooh!' Jonathan shouts. 'The best presentation ever!'

'You killed it girl!' Jamie shouts. I grin at them proudly.

'She knows, guys. She knows.' June says soothingly. Then she laughs. 'Look at her smug face!'

I look at her with a disapproving look.

'Will you be silent for a few seconds, please? I am about to tell her how she did.' Mrs. van der Wind says. She looks at me with her serious brown eyes with the little frinkles around them. 'You did a really great job. It was very clear and your arguments were also very accurate and strong. For everyone who is gonna be after her; this is what I'm looking for.

You were perfect, Tessa. You may sit down now. Your friends are waiting for you.' she says with a nod of her head towards my friends, which makes all the near grey curls dance around her head.

'I don't know if I should be happy with you guys, but okay. How did you think I did?' I ask them. I want to hear their judgement.

'It was really good.' Jonathan says. 'You were so good out there, girl. You totally rocked this one.' I grin.

'Thanks, sweetie. Anyone else?' I respond to him.

'We are so going with you to the protests.' Jamie nearly yells.

'I thought you were already going?' I question them with a raised eyebrow.

'Yes, yes. But if we weren't...' Jamie says.

'Ah, I get it. Thanks. June?' I say.

'You were great. I wish I could speak like that. I would blow their minds ánd finally get a good note for English. I wish I could let if drop.' she sighs.

'We know, honey, we know.' Jonathan says. 'We pity you a lot.' that makes June slap him hard on the shoulder.

'Ouch!' Jonathan yells. 'You deserved that one. June doesn't need pity and you know it.' I say.

'Okay, okay. Next time I will just say she can't let it drop and she'll just have to deal with it, just like everyone else. Better?' I nod. 'Better. What did you think of it, Lo?'

'I liked it a lot. You really are gonna nail the one at the protests. I'm sure of that.' Melody says. I smile at her appreciatively.

'Thanks, girl. Are we gonna go to anyone's place this afternoon?' I ask inquiringly.

'Hell yeah.' Jamie says. 'But my mother is home today and so is my little brother. Somebody else?'

'My parents are going to some weird bingo or something so we could go to my place?' Melody says.

Immediately everybody makes approving noises. We're going to Melody's.

That was the first chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it! Voting is sweet and commenting is kind ;-)