xxiii - Waking up (part ii)

Mia sat in an empty restaurant. It was late at night in the middle of the week, so most people were in their home, sleeping. This was the perfect moment for the meeting she had planned.

Earlier in the evening, she had called Aiden, asking him for help. She needed to get in touch with Harry and the only way she knew how was by asking Aiden to contact Niall. Aiden had been quick on the case, because he too cared a lot about Azalea, after all she was also his childhood friend. So he had called Niall and explained Mia's request.

From what Aiden told Mia, Niall had been wanting to do the same thing, apparently Harry hadn't been in the greatest shape either and as much as he suspected the reason to be Azalea, he had never dared to ask Harry.

Harry had no idea that he was meeting Mia, Niall had told him to meet him at the restaurant, so when he came inside, he was very surprised to be greeted by Mia.

He looks so unhappy, was the first thing that Mia thought. From what she saw, he had lost weight and his skin was covered in breakouts. But what struck her the most was how empty he looked. There were no emotions behind his eyes, apart from confusion at the sight of Mia.

"Hi Harry," she greeted him before walking him to the table she was sitting at previously.
Harry followed her and sat carefully in front of her."Hey," he finally replied, his tone uncertain.

He looked around, searching for Niall. He didn't understand why he was sitting with Azalea's best friend.
Just looking at her reminded him of Azalea and that was painful. He thought that he would get used to the pain, that with time, his feelings for her would fade and that it would hurt less and less, but that wasn't the case. It seemed like everyday, something would come up and remind him of her.

He didn't help his case either. Everyday since Azalea had walked out, he read a part of the Great Gatsby. He didn't know why, he knew that this habit was more toxic than helpful, but he couldn't help himself. Even on the days where he thought he hated her, whenever he saw the book on his nightstand he would open it and read it.

"Niall isn't coming. I asked him to tell you to come here," she cleared up. "I just really needed to talk to you."

Harry frowned for a moment, processing what was happening. He suddenly became really tense as various scenarios played in his head.

"Is Azalea okay?" Harry asked suddenly, worry taking over his feature.
"Well, that's why I wanted to talk to you."
Harry sat up. "What happened? Is she sick? Has something happened to her?"

He was getting frantic and Mia rose her hand to stop him from talking.

"She's not sick, she's just not very well emotionally," she explained. "Ever since you guys have stopped seeing each other, she hasn't been the same."

Harry's worries vanished and frustration started to build up.

"That's what she wanted," he said flatly.
"She didn't really tell me why you two stopped seeing each other and I feel like I need to understand what happened so that I can help her feel better."
Harry leaned back on his chair and crossed his arms over his chest. "So you want me to tell you what happened?" Mia nodded. "She walked out on me," Harry said, anger clear in his tone. "She heard me say that I loved her and she got mad at me for it. She said she couldn't see me anymore and walked out-"

Mia sat up suddenly, which surprised Harry and made him stop talking.

"You loved her?" she exclaimed.
Harry blushed slightly and looked away. "I guess the past tense isn't really appropriate, but yeah."

He didn't like to admit it, and he actually didn't know why he had said that to Mia. But he felt as if it was something that he needed to tell her, because maybe she could help him.

Mia stood still and stared straight ahead.

Why did Azalea tell her that he didn't like her, that he was in love with someone else? Had she lied to her? Something in Mia's mind made her think that she hadn't, or at least not on purpose, and that she truly thought that Harry was in love with someone else.

"Mia?" Harry called her. She looked back at him and saw curiosity in his eyes. "What is it?"
"Did you tell her face to face that you liked her?"
"No, she heard me talk about with my mother."
"Did you say her name, or someone else's name?" She questioned.
"I don't think so... I-I don't understand where you're going," Harry admitted.

It all made sense now. Mia wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. This was so much like Azalea, assuming something that wasn't true, not being confident enough to think that maybe Harry was talking about her. Part of her was so angry that she had thought that way, that Azalea had been hurting all this time for nothing. She was also mad at herself for not trying to solve it sooner. But she was also so incredibly happy that maybe things would be right again.

"Oh my god," she suddenly said as realisation struck.
"What?"
"Harry, you said the past tense didn't apply... so you still love her?" Harry nodded shyly. "You're going to be so mad."
"Why?" Harry said frantically.

For the first time in a month, Harry got hopeful. The way Mia was talking, it made him feel as if there was a solution to his pain.

"Azalea loved you, Harry. She didn't know you were talking about her, she thought you liked someone else..."
"What!" Harry exclaimed.

Mia didn't have the time to say more, Harry was already running out of the restaurant.

.

.

.

Part 2 is here ! 1 part left... oh my god so close to the end.

Please tell me what you think, not just on this chapter but on the whole story. What you liked, what you didn't like... I will probably edit it all eventually so if there are things that I should change, now is the time to tell me.

Love you all,

Karry xx.