Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Do you still talk to Imad?" I asked before he turned to leave.

"No. Anything else?"

"Did you ever tell Mal?" I asked. He sighed, and looked at me in the eye from a distance, knowing exactly what I was talking about and what I meant.

"No." He replied and left. Leaving the room agitated.

Later that day...

Amal

I wondered the hospital hallways, in search of a distraction from my thoughts. I left Anisa asleep in the room, after having a long conversation on the aftermaths of the accident. The one thing I could not tell her was about Jamal. My heart throbs at that fact that I can't tell my sister about Jamal and what he had done, without falling into tears. I have managed to look the other way and not let his betrayal get to me, but remembering moments with him and knowing it was all fake - it stings. It's not what she needs. It's not what Anisa needs right now. She needs strength and support. I can't risk being anything but...

"Excuse me." I look in search of the voice and look down to see a little girl with long umber hair and beautiful brown eyes. She looks at me, tears lingering in her eyes. I kneel down to look at her and ask her what's wrong.

"I am lost," she says and starts crying.

"Oh no sweetheart. It's going to be fine, I'll take you back to your parents." She nods agreeing, still sobbing.

"My name is Mal. What's yours?"

"Manayer." She replies, and wipes her tears away.

"Oh what a nice name for a nice girl. It's very pretty. I'll help you find your parents. Okay? Don't worry." I held her hand and we walked together trying to look for her parents. I asked one of the nurses if she could help, she advised that the security guard would be more of help and so I talked to him and he helped I'm search to find her parents.
And so we searched throughout each floor of the hospital, alongside the security guard - trying to spot her parents. Manayer didn't speak much, she clutched on my hand and didn't dare to let go - as if her life depends on it. She looked for her parents restlessly, through the sea of people. Until the security, had gotten some information through earpiece he wore. He told us that the parent was waiting at the receptionist on the first floor, and so that's where we headed.

As we walked towards the reception desk on the first floor, Manayer let go of my hand. Freed from fear, and ran towards a woman. A tall, slender and beautiful woman who had caramel for skin. She wore a fashionable, sky blue pantsuit, with three inch heels and wore a white hijab tightly and perfectly worn. Her makeup subtle, with red matte lipstick. She looked effortlessly gorgeous, and comely. Which made me question, how she could have been separated from her daughter. I mean she seemed to have her things in order, she looked composed. I observed as Manayer ran to her mum, and how her mother embraced her and kissed her face and talked to her so lovingly.

The security guard then talked with Manayer's mum briefly and soon after she walked towards me, she stood before me and thanked me repeatedly.

"I really mean it, thank you so much for taking your time to help my daughter."

"Really it's no problem." She smiled at me warmly and placed her hand on my shoulder, to thank me one last time.

"Daddy!" Manayer yells running past me. I turn around to see her running towards Naveed. He picks her up, carries her and kisses her on the cheek. I stood still, as if I was glued to my position. Unable to look away...

"Did she wonder off again?" He asked his wife, I assume.

"Yes. We have to have the talk with her Naveed, stranger danger. And setting rules like no more ice cream for a week."

"Nooo mummy." She cries.

"No princess don't cry. I'll talk to mummy."

"Why do I even bother? You two can never betray each other." She says and laughs. 

"I am sorry for keeping you waiting Mariam."

"No it's okay. When duty calls..." She turns behind to look at me and I smile awkwardly, pretending to be unaware and clueless. "This is the lady who helped your explorer of a daughter." He looks at me, and smiles.

"Did you say thank you?" He looks at Manayer, still in his arms.

"Thank you Mal." She sings sweetly.

"You're welcome Manayer." I told her and walked away. Naveed has his own family now, and he didn't even mention it. I mean I know we are not close anymore, but who forgets to mention that they have a kid and a beautiful partner. Isn't that what you lead with?