12- Where do we go from here?

Start from the beginning

The bus had stopped moving by this point, but nobody had actually bothered to get off it yet, so Gerard decided to seize the opportunity before the conversation started to make him blush. 

"I might go for a walk" he said as he stood up and stretched. 

"We'll see you for soundcheck in an hour" Ray nodded, giving him a reminder. He knew what he meant: don't disappear on us again

"I'll be there" he affirmed, and Ray smiled at that. He caught Frank's eye as he left the bus, giving him what he hoped came across as a confident look to let him know he was okay, but just needed some fresh air. Frank knew him better than most, and so also knew that Gerard was an introvert by nature, and needed his time alone to unwind. 

As soon as he got off the bus Gerard lit up a cigarette and headed out, walking past various crew members that were busy unloading their stuff. He knew they were in Indianapolis, but the venue looked unfamiliar, and definitely bigger than the one they'd played last time they were here. 

"Hey" he spun round to see Bert leaning against his own tour bus, also smoking and looking kind of sheepish for once.

"Hey" he replied, taking a long drag of his cigarette and trying to keep his cool. He knew he'd have to speak to him at some point, but he'd also had such a nice morning with Frank that the last thing he wanted was for his day to be tainted by a bust-up with Bert. 

"Listen Gerard, I'm so fucking sorry about the other night-" he began.

"Bert..."

"No, let me finish. Please" he kept his distance as he spoke, obviously weary "I know I fucked up, I came to your show to apologise, but then when I saw you making out with Frank like that, I flipped. And I know I don't have a right to, but I felt so fucking bad..." he paused and took a drag "...that I got way more fucked up than I should've done at that party."

"I don't care that you got fucked up at a party Bert" Gerard sighed "Besides, I shouldn't have punched you first. I care that you were going to let me get beat up by your friends though, that fucking stings."

"I can't stop thinking about it" Bert groaned "I was so wasted, I wasn't thinking straight. And you hitting me kinda sent me into shock, but Gee you have to know I would've snapped out of it and stopped it."

"Eventually? Because you didn't when it counted" Gerard's voice only shook a little bit with the emotion he was currently having to bite back, trying to at least appear calm and collected in front of the guy that had hurt him so badly. 

"I would've" Bert dared to step closer to him at that point "You know that deep down. I was angry so I let you take a punch or two, but I will never be able to explain how bad I felt. I wish they hadn't held Frank back, I deserved everything he was trying to do-"

"That can always be arranged" they both snapped their heads to the left, where Frank was stood, murderous expression on his face. Gerard hadn't heard him walking over, but then again there was plenty of commotion happening around them. 

"Frank-" Gerard warned, eyes wide "it's okay, really."

"Yeah, well, last time you were alone with him it wasn't" he grumbled, stepping closer so that he was stood next to Gerard. They weren't touching, but they were only a few inches apart "so I'd rather stick around and make sure he doesn't try anything."

"Frank, I'm trying to apologise" Bert glared "Gerard's perfectly safe."

"Okay look" Gerard knew he had to wrap up the standoff before it turned ugly "Bert, I appreciate the apology, even if I don't forgive you, either for the cheating or for what happened at the party. But we need to be civil for the rest of this tour, and that applies to both of you too" he turned to Frank with a raised eyebrow "so nobody's fighting anyone, okay?"

Frank gave Bert a final glare as he nodded. 

"Okay" Bert sighed and stomped out his cigarette "well, I'll see you round I guess. You know where I am if you..." he trailed off, words hanging on his tongue. Instead of speaking them, he turned and headed back onto his bus. 

"Come on" Frank's hand was suddenly in his, steering him away from The Used's tour bus and towards the venue "before I change my mind and punch him again."

"Honestly Frankie, it's okay" Gerard sighed as he trailed beside him "we've gotta keep it bearable for the rest of the shows."

"I know, I know" Frank frowned "I'm sorry I came busting in like that, but when I saw you talking to him I couldn't keep away."

"Hey" Gerard squeezed his hand "I appreciate the back up."

"Even though you didn't send one of your cryptic signs for it?"

"Even then" Gerard giggled as they walked into the empty venue "where are we going?"

"To find my guitar. I need to vent."

Sure enough, they found their stuff had been unloaded into the stage wings, so it was easy for Frank to grab Pansy. Bands hadn't started to soundcheck yet, but there were crew members everywhere so they found an empty dressing room. Gerard sat crossed legged on the floor and watched as Frank took the couch, and started to play. 

"Is this new?" He asked when Frank began to play riffs he didn't recognise. Frank just nodded, and Gerard leaned back and closed his eyes, listening to them. Gradually he started to hum alongside, his mind racing as he tried to think of vocal melodies to accompany each riff. 

"It's been ages since we wrote something new" Frank said when he noticed what he was doing. 

"I know. Maybe after this tour we should start thinking about when we're going to start properly getting some new material written" Gerard mused. 

"That sounds like a good idea" Frank moved so he was sat on the floor beside him, guitar still on his lap when he leaned over and kissed him. It was only for a moment or two, but it did the trick of making Gerard's cheeks flame up. "We should do something today, get out of here."

"I'd love to, but I'm pretty sure Brian's booked us a whole load of press interviews in for this afternoon, and a photoshoot too" Gerard remembered with a frown. 

"Ah shit yeah, I forgot" Frank sighed "tomorrow then?"

"Tomorrow sounds perfect."

___

Hope you enjoyed :)

- H xoxo