The Perfect Couple

A Perfect Couple. I truly loved that man. Franchot Tone was so elegant, so cultured and so talented. He was mad about me,too. To have this great actor in love with me, was quite a compliment. Franchot made me feel the worth of my accomplishments and only at the end of our marriage did he resent Hollywood for the disparity of our status. One star to a family, you know. He was never truly appreciated in Hollywood but on Broadway, he was a star. His later career only got better, he shone in very classy and mature roles so very suited to him. Personally, he was my easiest match. I tried over and over again to have his child, but tragically they all ended in very painful miscarriages. Then life played a real dirty trick on us, my career started to falter under the new Metro regime after Thalberg died and I started to drink. We fought and then I stumbled into his dressing room and caught him naked with an extra girl. Well...after our divorce I missed him terribly, and yet we remained friends until he passed away in 1968. Somehow his personal fortune disappeared and I ended up paying for his funeral, which was the least I could do for such an all encompassing relationship. He opened me to a cultural awakening and my political education, he was my lover, my mentor, my acting partner and my husband. Through it all, he remains my dearest friend, and I never stopped loving him.