Barney's PoV - The Battle Where Hope Disappears

On Amy's signal, the first wave lurched forwards. I nudged Arctic and we slowly advanced towards the colourful ranks of the enemy. There was no order to them - they just hovered in a giant mass. My squadron formed an oblong as we flew steadily forwards. I drew my sword, the pale blue blade flashing as I led the squadron towards the densest part of the enemy. I took a deep breath and we were on them.

The squadron immediately dissipated and became one on one fights.

"Keep together!", I yelled frantically, but I couldn't see half the dragons in my group. Arctic dove towards a large green earth dragon. His scales were heavily scarred and I felt a pang of sorrow as a stone dragon plummeted towards the earth. I can't imagine dying, but I know that if we did die, we'd turn into stone at the same time. I was pulled from my thoughts as Arctic twisted to the side to avoid a boulder. I slashed at the dragons talon and he gave a bellow of pain. As Arctic righted himself, I conjured up my magic and fired a hail of razor sharp ice pellets at the green drake. Most missed, but a few embedded in his nostrils and one embedded in his eye. Liquid squirted out as the half blind dragon thrashed about, accidentally sending boulders flying in all directions. One tail spike ended him, and the stone dragon dropped to the ground.

Suddenly there was a scream and I spun around in time to see a yellow lightning dragon plummet downwards. A pink dragon dived after him, grabbing his tail and coming to a stop as three of the enemy headed towards Electra.

"Barney, look out!", Arctic roared and I pressed myself down against his scales as flame crackled above me. We swung to face the fire dragon and Arctic roared in reply, sending the fire dragon plummeting to it's death in a block of ice.

I slashed and hacked with my sword, every muscle straining, every limb aching as we fought our way through the ranks. With a great push, we burst through and came through the other side of the enemy, so we were behind them. Blood steadily dripped from Arctic as we prepared to plunge back in. To my right, there was a roar as a wind dragon soared through the enemy, blowing them away. The red haired rider shouted encouragement as he and his dragon wheeled around to face the six dragons pursuing them, blasting them away with a gust of wind magic. We raced to their side, dodging each surrounding dragon in an attempt to reach Stephen. I impaled a dragon in the head, greyish brain matter splattering my face as we reached Stephen-

Just in time to see Atlas crash into the stone flagstones, Stephen on his back. We plunged down and I stared at Atlas as his scales solidified and hardened, turning grey. The last thing to change was his eyes, those grey eyes once so full of life and spark turned to a dull stone grey. I reached out and touched the hard nose.

"I will avenge you,". I swore. But with one of the most powerful riders dead, what hope did we have? With a powerful leap, Arctic leapt into the air and together we headed to the opponent Stephen was battling. It was a female wind dragon, and we raced forwards, Arctic's jaw open wide to release an ice blast, when we were thrown backwards. I slid off Arctic, falling towards the ground as my dragon struggled to right himself. I closed my eyes as the ground neared, not wishing to see my impending doom, when I crashed into some scales, I opened my eyes, gasping, as I pinched my nose to stop the newly formed nosebleed. My vision swayed, and it took a while for it to slowly clear, until I realised I was on a green dragon, and in front of me was Cherry. Cherry. I felt my heart drop as I realised she didn't know about her brother, and I gasped for breath.

"You ok?". Cherry asked, as we hovered a mere few metres from the ground.

I nodded, unable to trust myself as I caught sight of Arctic hovering beneath us.

"Thanks,". I said. She smiled, before turning back to me: 

"By the way, you haven't see my brother have yo-". I jumped off Cedar, landing perfectly on Arctic as we steadily rose, until we were above the palace.

"Is the dragon dead?". I asked, feeling a surge of relief as Arctic bobbed his head. I readied my sword as we dived into the enemy, and my only thought was a feeling of relief that I hadn't been the person to tell Cherry about her brother's demise. That was a job I did not want to do.