𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

Start from the beginning

The Shelby's were practically considered royalty in the damn place – they could do what they wanted, drink what they wanted and say whatever spilled from between their lips with a little bit of liquid courage. Which is why Arthur was currently stood on top of the bar, demanding the attention of everyone with a loud yell.

"A toast to a strong Shelby woman!" He gestured his cup towards Evelyn, a light blush colouring her face when everyone simultaneously turned their heads in her direction. It would have been creepy, if she too wasn't slightly intoxicated from the whiskey in her hand. "Some fuckers thought that they could try to take over our bloody business, but thank god we have tough women, eh?!"

A cheer of encouragement spurred from the crowd that was paying attention to the eldest Shelby; none of them noticing him almost losing his footing. Twice. With a quick rush, Tommy gestured for Arthur to get down, shaking his head while scolding him.

"Get off the fucking bar, Arthur," he pleaded, trying to keep a stoic expression – gritting his teeth to stop the smile that was begging to grow across his face from doing so.

Arthur let out a disgruntled moan at Tommy's request, before using his brothers shoulder for support while he clambered down off the counter with a whine of "ah, c'mon Tom."

Mindlessly twirling her drink in her hand, Evelyn's eyes floated across the pub before they glanced at each of her brothers. She knew that they had left for the war innocent men and returned haunted by demons that she couldn't possibly understand.

Both her and her aunt Polly had previously tried to grasp just how much the Shelby brothers witnessed and participated in had affected them, but miserably failed. The older woman explaining to Evelyn that they both could "barely comprehend the pain that they're suffering with alone right now. When they want help – they'll come to us."

The young girl was just happy to see smiles on their faces; even if they were due to being drunk

"You turn twenty-bloody-one in two days," John slung his arms around his sisters shoulders from behind, his chin coming to rest upon her shoulder as he lead them both into the private room. "Fuckin' remember when you were nothing more than a baby wailing your eyes out just to be held. Now look at yer'! A full grown Shelby woman!"

"We all have to grow up at some point, Johnny boy," Evelyn beamed, her hands gripping her brothers as the rest of the Shelby clan joined in on their conversation.

"Pretty soon you'll be married to some lad, livin' in a posh house and will barely come to visit us," Arthur joked, moving to take a seat next to his sister. "Don't get up the duff like Ada and run away from us."

Evelyn's heart stung at the memory of her older sister. Ada had left for London after her husband had passed, taking her nephew with her – only keeping in contact through letters to Polly and the occasional phone call. However, she rolled her eyes at Arthur's drunken words, swiftly swatting his shoulder.

"Arthur!"

With a hearty laugh from her siblings, John pressed a kiss to his sisters temple, grabbing the gin bottle from Tommy's hand – the older brother letting out a groan of protest. John pointed the end of the bottle towards Evelyn.

"I don't know what'd I'd do if you fuckin' ran away from us. Break my heart, you would."

"I'm not going to run away, John."

The youngest Shelby, Finn, took that moment to enter the conversation; a smug look on his face. "So yer' going to get pregnant then?"

His older brothers didn't miss a beat collectively chiming a "fuck off, Finn."

With a pointed gaze towards Finn, Evelyn picked her glass back up; lifting it to her lips before taking a gulp. The burn helped her remain alert to the conversation going on around her – well, more specifically, about her.

"We should host a gathering for your birthday," Tommy proposed, lighting his cigarette before leaning back in his chair. Evelyn shook her head.

"I don't need a fuckin' party, Tom."

"Well, good thing you don't have much choice in the matter."

Rolling her eyes, Evelyn took the bottle of gin that John was holding, hitting him upside the head for drinking straight from it; pouring some into her glass.

"Aren't you going to be in London for business that day?" She raised an eyebrow in his direction.

"Yes, but that's none of your concern. Arthur, John and I have everything under control," he shook his head, tapping his cigarette over the ashtray. "You're all going to come to London with me, stay with Ada while I do business and then we're going to The Eden Club."

"Tom," Arthur piped up, weariness in his voice. "Yer' sure that's a good idea? How bout yer' just bring Ada back with ya and we celebrate right here in the Garrison."

Tommy held a hand up to silence Arthur. "No need, I already sorted everything out. The pub is ours for the night."

With a grunt, Arthur nodded once before picking up his glass, raising it towards everyone before downing the alcohol in one gulp.

"I want all of yer' to dress up to the nines, aye," Tommy grinned, pointing the end of his cigarette towards Evelyn. "Wear that dress – the one that mum used to wear. It's a special occasion and we're all going to fucking celebrate."

Reluctantly agreeing, Evelyn slumped back in her seat, head resting against John's shoulder, her other hand gripping Finn's that was rested in his lap.

"Welcome to the new decade boys," she chuckled, her eyes shutting. "It's going to be a fucking ride."