Chapter Thirty Eight

Start from the beginning

Severus, much to Harry's confusion, placed one hand on Harry's elbow, pulling him around to the man's front. The hand let go of the elbow and in stead wrapped around his shoulders, leaving him half pressed against Severus' chest.

They soon entered a shop, and both relaxed, "I thought you were supposed to be brave?" The professor said, a small smirk on his face, showing he was only poking fun.

"Yeah, among other children." Harry mumbled, looking around the shop. He didn't dare touch anything while Severus browsed, or so the older man thought. Severus didn't buy anything, and the two of them were exploring the alley once again.

Harry clutched onto his professor, and by the time they had left, Harry decided he was most definitely never going alone, even once he was grown.

Once they were out of the magical alley, Harry perked up a bit more. "Can we sit in a diner, professor? I'm getting hungry."

Severus nodded, feeling peckish himself, "I'm not paying for you."

Harry agreed, and the two searched Muggle London for twenty minutes before finding a suitable place to eat.

They settled down and ordered, and while they waited for their food Harry decided this was a perfect chance to see if Tom was his professors boyfriend, or ex.

The smaller boy left forward on his elbow, "Why did you do it?"

"What, mister Evans?"

"Join Tom."

The man seized at the boys words, "How do you know his given name?" He asked first, avoiding the question.

"I have my ways. Why?" The green eyed boy made eye contact, but the dark man avoided his gaze.

"He wasn't all bad. He was intoxicating. He was a man fighting for lesser rights, essentially," Severus cleared his throat, "he was a good man once. A man who turned sour through war. None of us, his followers, recognized him. He was... A different man. Insane, even."

Harry nodded, "Did you... Love him?"

The professor snorted and crossed his hands, "We all did. He loved me too, once upon a time. Why are you asking?"

"I was just curious, professor. I can only see your partial memories, some were concerning and I wanted answers."

Severus glared, "What exactly can you see? And how can you do it?"

Harry slumped, he had his answer so he supposed he had to answer his professors.

"I don't know how I can do it. It's unsettling and strange. I can see memories pop up, they're faint. I can ignore them usually, and I dont pay much attention. It was a gift so that I could avoid my uncles brutal throws when I was younger, but now it's more of a curse. It is still lovely, but now I know it would end up in my enslavement. I can delve deeper. Watch peoples lives in thirty seconds. Everything is fast and nothing makes much sense. Recent memories are stronger, and if I poke around I can know the things you recently thought about."

Severus looked astounded, his brow still crinkled as the waitress brought their food. They spoke their gratitude and got back to conversation, on between bites.

"It explains a lot, honestly. You're so smart for you're age."

Harry shook his head, "No, I'm just smart. I can't take peoples knowledge, or learn from it. I can see that they know things, like, for instance, looking into an older child at Muggle school. I could see that they knew twelve squared equalled one hundred and forty four, but I didn't know how they got there. What I experience and can see is very unexplained."