16

Three Months Prior: Omniscient

"So what are you going to do?" Onika munched on her favorite cookies Beyoncé had baked.

The veteran shrugged and wrapped a tight arm around the smaller woman. "I'm gonna love on my wife and child." She pressed up against Nicki, kissing her neck while doing so.

"Beyoncé, I'm serious."

"So am I! What do you want me to do, Nika? Huh!? Go fuck her again and have a child with my blood running through their veins this time?" Beyoncé released her wife, shaking her head to clear the toxicity from her head and household.

"I- Nika, I'm sorry baby. Ain't nothing but the devil trying me and my thoughts." Beyoncé sighed, gripping Onika's arm before she could even leave her grasp.

"What time is your flight for?" Onika sighed, doing her best to water down the tension. She hated fussing with her wife which is why they rarely ever argued.

"In 30 minutes," Beyoncé replied.

Her vision blurred, temporarily impairing her. There was a major bump in their road, but it didn't stop every thing else from working. The baby was healthy, their love was deep, and Onika's vision was improving as time went.

She had nothing to be sad about, but the human in her doubted a lot.

A lot being her wife traveling to New York for her 'son' and ex-wife.

"I'll be back in no time, I'm just going to make sure everything is straight, baby." Beyoncé did her best to assure her wife of the situation. Her intentions were true, pure in their ways.

"Something isn't sitting right with me, Beyoncé," Onika shook her head.

Lori supposedly attempted to commit suicide. Beyoncé was notified by an angry white women calling during the wee hours of the morning. Onika pieced together the puzzle, coming to the conclusion that it was all bait to reel an already gone Beyoncé back in.

After the vet left for her flight, Onika sat in their flat, void of any happy feelings. Her gut tumbled as time went on, she attempted to push it aside and blame it on the growing life within her.

Yet, just as she promised, Beyoncé was back in Houston later that night. After a nasty verbal altercation with Lori who was far from sick, she fled home to her wife and child.

Onika, that night, stripped her wife down and catered to her every need. Despite the negativities, their wedlock managed to tighten under pressure. The two secretly married a week after Robert brought the marriage license to them.

Two days after Beyoncé's return, she fell ill.

Onika heated their coffee up when she heard a loud thud come from their bedroom.

It was then that she had to call Matthew to inform him on the situation at hand.

Will she ever get a break? I often ask myself. It wasn't fair, but what in life was? Nothing.

The mask she wore never came off, it was super glued on with no interest in being removed. Still, my love for her grew tremendously, stronger and stronger as the seconds increased.

There was nothing in this world that could stop that, not even her.

"How're you feeling, Nika?" Matthew asked. His 'stache sprouted gray hairs, clear signs of his new coming stress.

I looked up to my father-in-law with a sad smile, trying my best to pull through for my babies.

"I'm managing," I replied with the strongest voice I could muster up. My hand was planted on my stomach, my eyes were glued to Beyoncé's closed ones.

The room was so cold, yet it was nearly blazing hot outside. The only thing that happened to keep me warm was Beyoncé's work jacket and warm cups of tea I consumed every once in a while.

"She'll pull through." His eyes held a distant look. His demeanor was rigid, unreadable. It reminded me of the mask Beyoncé wore after she'd found out the truth.

Truthfully, I was afraid of what there was to come. Underlying my skin, there was a layer of guilt and confusion fused together. For the past three months, I watched as a beeping machine monitored my wife's heart. I was supposed to be the one supporting her, giving her life in a time of doubt.

My chest caved in and puffed out after I released a deep, irregular pattern of breath.

"She will," I repeated. Manifestation was the only thing I could rely on nowadays. There was an unyielding force that the tongue held against life, I was going to use that power to my advantage.

"I'll be back, call me if you need anything, Onika."

"Thank you, Mr. Matthew, I will."

Before the darkness could consume me, I pulled my camcorder out and stood to my feet.

"As I promised, I never, and will never leave your side." I looked down at my wife who I only got three conscious days with to celebrate our lawful marriage.

"It's day 72, mommy is still asleep, baby. Her vitals are perfect, her subconscious self is just very stubborn, typical Beyoncé." The red light on the recording item beamed dimly, I blinked my eyes quickly and turned the lens to my growing belly.

"You, little human, are doing fine. Small flutters here and there, only when I place your moma's hand over you! Show off." I chuckled sadly trying to laugh the shakiness in my voice away.

I stalked over my wife's limp body, grabbing her right hand to place it over our growing baby.

"We love you, baby, forever and a day."

I spoke to both my wife and our growing proof of love.

My thumb pressed the recording device off.

Life was giving me a run for my money, but I refused to back down. I sighed, joining my sleeping wife in her large hospital bed.

Her natural scent was faintly there. I was the one who bathed her! I was the one who was regaining my health, sight, to be exact, back while my wife suffered in front of my eyes.

I wanted to rip my eyes out of my skull now. Maybe me being blind was what was meant to be. At least I would feel less of what I'm feeling currently.

My ear was above her calm heart, listening to the drumming organ as it reacted to the outside world.

My baby knew I was here, I could feel and hear it inside of her.

I smiled, gripping her warm hand into mine. "I need you to get up for me, baby," I cried.

I was met with the beeping of the heart monitor machine. Matthew refused to have her put on life support, instead, he prayed daily and fed her a very strong liquid.

I respected his wishes and participated in the creole coded prayers, saying some of my own when we were alone.

"Your little baby needs you just as much as your big baby needs you."

I looked up when the rate of her heart slightly increased. My eyes shut when it returned back to normal.

If I could rewind the hands of time, I would.

Over and over again.....

——————————

Excuse any errors.....❤️