Chapter 45: Almost Expelled

Start from the beginning

********
The Great Hall was unusually silent today. Professor Dippet had strolled quickly inside, slamming the doors as he opened them. All the other professors had followed him, all looking upset and rather grim.

"Students!" the headmaster's voice boomed in the silent hall, getting the attention of everyone.

"We have a bad news... Myrtle Elizabeth Warren had been.. Killed,"the last word cause a rather large impact to the students. Loud whispers and chattering rised from the crowds, with a loud sob disrupting the worried voices.

"She was found dead in one of the girls bathroom," Dippet cleared his throat, "And I would like Emily Vance to come with me. There is an issue occurring..."

Emily didn't had the appetite to eat anymore. She was confused and worried. What did this had to do with her? A few suspicious glances were cast upon her as she followed him to the headmaster office.

She opened the door and there was Hagrid, with an amused Tom Riddle standing there with a very relaxed posture. The rest of the professors gathered together, ready to acknowledge the problem.

As soon as the half giant saw Emily, he wailed, "Emily, there yeh are! Tell 'em! We set Aragog free!"

"I-" she paused, "What happened? What do you have to do with Myrtle's death?

"Hagrid had helped a monster killed a student!" Dippet's voice echoed loudly.

"It wasn't Aragog! I set my big 'ol pal free!" Hagrid sobbed, rubbing his nose.

"He was," Tom said cooly, "I caught him. With the creature in a room. And to add the fact that the girls bathroom - had little spiders in it."

"Very well, you heard the prefect!" the headmaster grunted, waving his hand in the air.

"He's lying!" he cried in desperation, "We set it free! It just happened to lost its way and ended up in another classroom, remember? It was just six days ago!"

"There is no evidence to it, and therefore the school must take actions in such a case," he sighed loudly, "We have to expell you, Hagrid."

"No!" Emily let out a cry, "It wasn't his fault!"

"Silence, girl!" the headmaster glared at her,"You helped him to perform such actions. We have the every right to expell you too."

"I- it wasn't Aragog!" she faltered, "It's not our fault."

"Then both of you shall be expell!" Dippet clenched his fists, "And that's final!"

Emily felt her heart dropped. Expelled.. Away from Hogwarts. Away from home. How can she tell her mom about it? How can she face the consequences? The professors looked at her wearily, except for Dumbledore, who didn't seemed to look at them with disgust or dislike.

"Headmaster," Tom took a step forward,"I'd say we should spare the girl.. This, half giant, had probably forced her into this, therefore.."

Dumbledore raised his eyebrows, "We shouldn't be expelling these students. There is no valid evidence for the situation -"

"Albus! I am the headmaster of Hogwarts," Dippet's voice was starting to tremble with rage, "I get to decide the punishments!"

"Well, not for the girl. Hagrid," he smiled kindly at the sobbing third grader, "I'll help you find a home... Where you can meet someone who was expelled for almost the same reasons... If you know what I mean," he winked at him.

"Which friend?" he looked up, astonished, "Tell me!"

"A decent hufflepuff. You'll know him soon-"

"Albus -" Dippet unclenched his fists, "Very well! I'll spare the girl but Rubeus Hagrid.. You have been officially expelled from Hogwarts. Now, dismiss!"

"You know, even if you're expelled, Hagrid, Hogwarts would always be here to invite you back home.." Emily heard Dumbledore whispered to the gryffindor.

She felt angry at Tom. Emily cast a sympathetic glance at Hagrid and ran off into another direction, guilt washing over her.

"Emily," Tom followed her, "Stop walking at once."

She didn't want to listen to him anymore. Why, why, why? Why must he be the one who caused major troubles? Why did he had to do this? And - why did she fell for him?

He pulled her back but Emily scowled in response. "You! Why? He was expelled! Expelled, Tom! You could've stopped it!"

"Have you notice how much danger he was putting the other students in?"

"Did you saw how terrified he was? I- you -" she lost her anger and felt like crying.

"Emily," he repeated her name softly, "He deserved it. Monsters like him shouldn't be at Hogwarts."

"He wasn't a monster. Hagrid was a good person -"

"Enough of that," he snapped,"And I'm sure good, old Dumbledore would settled him down somewhere."

Emily didn't said anything. She knew it was the only decision that they could make now. "I hope he's fine with it... Hogwarts is home for everyone. It's not easy to leave a home, Tom."

"It's a pity," he pondered on the thought and smirked, "I'll see you on the following day. And let's wish the best for Rubeus Hagrid."