9 - Violaceous Unease

Start from the beginning

Sounds of footsteps and murmured conversations echoed across the tall chamber, audible even over the dramatic organ music. The back on Kin's neck tingled in anticipation. It wasn't his discomfort at being in a church that made him on edge. This was something more. Kin crossed the geometric flooring through the nave of the church. On either side, large columns blocked his view to the side aisles.A choir began to sing. Some of the older members who knew the words by heart sang along, but most silently took their seats though many still stood in line to enter. At least with most people now seated, Kin was given a far greater range of vision. In minutes, he spotted Nell's purple hair near one of the small chapels at the front of the church. He made his way there, trying to ignore the suspicious stares of monks as he passed.

"Nell," he whispered and placed a hand on her shoulder.

She flinched, moving several steps away from him in alarm. Even after seeing his face, the look of disgust on hers took a while to fade.

"I was looking for you."

Her eyes narrowed. "Why?"

He didn't think her question was deserving of a response. She knew why he was supposed to keep an eye on her. He wouldn't believe her to be as dumb as she pretended. "I think we should go." Kin reached for her arm, but as always, she avoided contact with him.

"We just got here. I want to stay!" She caught sight of the stern glare on his face, and lowered her defiant gaze. "Why do we have to go?"

"I think they know who I am."

Nell's eyes widened. "An ex-priest?"

"A warrior."

"Oh." She sounded disappointed. "Who cares? Isn't the church open to everyone?"

It's supposed to be, he thought. But he kept his thoughts to himself as two monks hovered near them. This time, he didn't let Nell break away from his attempt to grab her arm. He wasn't going to lose her again. "I'll explain when we're outside."

With Nell in tow, Kin led them back to the large doors. She followed without any more complaints. To Kin's relief, the monk still held his swords though he handed them back with hesitation as if afraid of what Kin would do with them. As tempting as it was to give the monk a good fright, Kin knew better. He tucked the sheaths back into his belt and pulled Nell from the sanctuary.

Once outside and away from the crowd, Kin stopped. He dropped Nell's arm. "What the hell is wrong with you?" he asked.

She pulled her arm to her chest. "What?"

"Why would you wander off on your own?" Out of instinct, Kin's hand reached for the hilt of his sword. He recognized the fear on her face, but it wasn't his job to baby her. She wasn't a child. "When it's my duty to protect you, you will stay at my side unless I tell you otherwise!"

Nell's face burned red, and her hands clenched in tight fists. "You can't tell me what to do!"

He could feel his worry and paranoia and suspicions pouring from him into words. Once he started yelling at her, he couldn't stop. "I don't have time to be worrying about little girls! I wasn't even the one who agreed to help you! I'm just the one who gets fucked over with the responsibility."

Nell opened her mouth to say something, but no words came out. The angry scowl on her face conveyed her contempt clear enough.

Kin crossed his arms. "I don't trust you. I don't know what it is, but I don't. However, that doesn't mean I don't take my responsibility to protect you seriously. Don't forget that again." He stepped past her. "Follow me, or I will drag you back by your hair."