Chapter 9: I Can't Lose You Either

Ross's POV:

Laura left a few hours ago. She changed out of Rydel's dress and gathered up her own clothes. When she left, I felt even more empty. I was sitting in my bedroom, doors locked, shades drawn. I was lying on my bed. The rest of my family were downstairs, continuing to comfort each other over the whole... mom thing.

I didn't have the guts to go out there, because then I'd just start bawling all over again. I had finally stopped crying when Laura was still here with me. She had offered to stay longer, but I knew she had her own family to go home to. She told me she'd be here first thing tomorrow morning, which I was at least a little bit happy about. Knowing how sweet and funny Laura is, maybe she can bring some light back into my family.

I got changed into casual, comfortable pajamas. It was late. Almost midnight. I couldn't decide whether I was sleepy, or wide awake. I was too afraid to go to sleep. That'd give my brain a chance to give me nightmares about my mother. I refuse to think of her right now. As much as it hurts to do that, I can't start crying. Not again. I haven't cried this much since... I've never cried this much. And it's not a fun thing either.

I yawned. I knew I'd give out sooner or later. Even if I try and stay up, I'll just fall asleep anyway. I turned off the lights and buried myself in the blankets. I wanted to try and forget everything. Just try and have a peaceful sleep to help calm me down. So I decided to think about something that makes me happy. Something that makes me smile. Something... someone, that makes my heart beat faster.

Laura.

*The Next Morning*

Laura's POV:

I leaped out of bed bright and early the next morning. I wanted to make sure Ross and his family got all the comforting they needed. Loosing their mother was probably awful for them.

I got dressed and trotted down the steps. The kitchen smelled of coffee and pancake batter. I walked in and saw my grandma, sure enough, cooking pancakes.

Grandma: Good morning Laura. 'she says, warmly'

Laura: Good morning.

I took a seat at the kitchen table. In front if me was a plate of pancakes, bacon, and a cup of orange juice.

Grandma: Hope your hungry! Eat as much as you'd like, I made extra.

Laura: I'll need to eat fast.

Grandma: What's the rush?

I hadn't yet told her about my plans of going back to see Ross. I didn't think she'd mind.

Laura: I'm going back to the castle to see Ross.

Grandma: Today?

I nodded.

Grandma: Well, alright. But just do you know, your father wants you home by 2 o'clock this afternoon.

Laura: I'll be back before then.

I quickly finished up my breakfast and thanked my grandma.

Laura: Bye grandma! I'll come back later around 1:30.

Grandma: Alright. See you later!

I jogged down the road and over to the barbed wire fence. I looked to the left, to the right, then behind me, making sure I wasn't being watched. Good. No one in sight, as usual. I crawled under the fence and started to make my way through the woods.

As I walked, I started to get a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. I didn't feel sick. What was bothering me? Maybe it's from the burning got sun that's shining quite bright today. Or maybe it's just because I had filled myself up with breakfast, and now I'm walking who knows how far to get to the castle.