"Rebellion!" I shout, to a cacophony of hollers from the crowd. "Courtiers and commoners, united together and fighting side by side, not in the Wastelands for a scrap of desert, but right here at home for our freedom!"

This time the cheers rise together in a roar, with mugs and fists pounding heavily on the table tops. I glance down at Will, who shoots me an encouraging smile.

"Death to the monarchy!" someone shouts out and the chant is picked up with enthusiasm.

Shit. This isn't the reaction I was hoping for. "Death is not the answer!" I try to yell over the unruly crowd, but my voice gets lost in the chaos.

"Friends, please!" I try again, feeling a well of panic build up inside of me.

The table rattles beneath my feet as Will climbs up next to me. He raises his fingers to his lips and blows a whistle so shrill I have to cover my ears.

The voices recede and I speak quickly before I lose them again. "We march on the Palace for equality, not for revenge! If we slaughter without thought, then we are no better than the King. This is our opportunity to lay the groundwork for a new, better city, a place where every citizen is given the same opportunities and freedom of choice! I ask you to take up swords and cut out the disease, not the cure! The Princess Megra wants us to have what I have just spoken of—all we need do is make room for her on the throne!"

"The Princess is poison, just like the rest of them!" someone shouts out and I gasp as a heavy mug is hurled at the courtiers. It explodes against the wall, sending ale showering over their' fine clothes.

"The time for these old prejudices is over!" My shot glass is still clenched in my fist and I throw it across the room, scoring a direct hit with the perpetrator's forehead. I draw myself up to my full height as the room rings with laughter, and I take advantage of having recaptured their attention. "It is no longer us and them!" I yell, pointedly. "We are united! We are one! There will come a day when we are led by a fair and just queen! Join us!"

I'm losing them. I can hear some cheers while others chatter angrily; questions and shouts of protest fly across the room.

"What has the monarchy done for us? Why should we trust her?"

"Yer a bloody courtier sympathizer!"

"No more royals!"

I look at Will. He stands next to me on the table, hands balled into fists at his sides.

"Easy," I whisper under my breath.

"The monarchy is not our enemy!" His voice rings out, louder than mine. Gradually, the conversation dies down. "The enemy is here, inside of you! The enemy is your anger, your resentment, your prejudices. I agree that you've been treated unjustly, but this is your chance to make things right. Trust me when I say that the Runner is your most passionate advocate. Time and time again she has risked her life for this cause, and now she stands before you with an answer! Listen to what she has to say!"

"What do you know of it, rich boy?" a woman shouts, garnering barks of agreement.

"Anyone who doubts the Runner has no place in this rebellion and has no right to their place in the new order!" Marc has materialized out of the crowd from near the bar. His hair flops onto his forehead and he pushes it back impatiently. "She risked her life to save mine, and I would be willing to wager that there are few in this room who haven't been assisted by her in some way." There are a few reluctant grumbles and I feel my cheeks reddening. "Shame on any of you who would doubt her. If the Runner says the Princess should be queen, then I will draw my sword and fight for her place on the throne!"