𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟒. feel the fear. do it anyway.

FEEL THE FEAR.
DO IT ANYWAY.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

CARRY YOUR THRONE (book one)

°• CHAPTER FOUR •°

" LIVING ISN'T SUPPOSED
TO BE A CHALLENGE. "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

WHEN ASPEN OPENED HER EYES, IT WAS DUE TO THE SOFT HUMMING NEAR HER. She let out a soft groan and shifted over the patch of grass she had chosen as a bed. A hand rested over her upper arm that finally made her open her eyes and come face to face with none other than Finn Collins, sunlight surrounding him in a halo. He's crouched, elbows pressed against his knees and grinning. "Morning, Pen," he greeted with a short laugh at her tiredness. Aspen sighed and dug her arms into the grass to sit up. She used the balls of her fists to rub at her drooping eyes. "I have something for you," he informed her.

"Really?" Aspen mumbled out of exhaustion. She dropped her hands, vision adjusting to the light and no longer burning. She was suddenly stunned and no longer sleepy. Finn was dangling her bracelet in front of her, newly fixed. A colorful twine Aspen hadn't seen before was woven where the damage was once done. "Oh, Finn, thank you," she marveled genuinely, touched.

"It was no sweat, Pen," Finn reassured her. Her closest friend slipped it on her wrist himself, brown eyes full of nothing but kindness. It made Aspen's heart warm.

They wake the others afterward. Octavia is curled up against Jasper, Monty snuggled up against a tree next to the pair. Aspen isn't surprised that Clarke is already awake, forming a plan for them to safely make it across the river without being devoured by the beast that lingers under the surface of the deadly water. She originally comes up with the rope made out of vine idea. It takes hours of their time. Finn offered to go first, tugging at it to ensure it wouldn't break with their weight.

"You wanted to go first," Clarke called up to him in a bored tone. "Now quit stalling." Aspen quirked a grin. Finn wasn't delaying it. He was afraid to do so. Hell, she didn't blame him after nearly being pulled under by a giant snake herself.

"Mount Weather awaits," Octavia added in encouragement.

Jasper had stood next to Finn, his eyes lit up and practically beaming. He looked up to Finn, Aspen noted. It was cute. "Just hang on until the apogee, and you'll be fine," he prompted.

"The apache like the Indians, right?" Finn asked.

"Apogee, not apache," Jasper corrected.

Clarke made an impatient noise. She seemed eager to know if this would actually work so they could find Mount Weather. "He knows," she exasperated. "Today, Finn."