My heart still beat fast in my chest from the sprints as I scanned the faces of my fellow teammates, looking at possibilities.

“You know how I choose captains,” Coach continued, crossing his arms. “On leadership and effort and commitment. Those are the normal qualities of someone I expect to help lead the team. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re the best player out there.”

I tried not to roll my eyes, wishing he’d cut the speech and just hurry up and say it.

“I like to look at who’s going to be the most responsible and most dedicated to making this team the best it can be. Before I tell you who I chose, just keep in mind that this could be any of you in the future if you work just as hard. I have a team of hard workers, right?”

“You know it, Coach,” said James Clark, a senior who stood across the circle.

My dad looked at him. “I’m glad you agree, James. Because you’re one of my captains.”

All the air exited my lungs at once. James Clark looked just as shocked, his eyes widening before he broke into a huge grin.

“Thanks, Coach!”

I tried to smile, cheering his name. I didn’t resent him for his captaincy; I’d played with him since freshman year and I knew he was good. What was more, I knew that I could rely on him to be a powerhouse defensive player. I couldn’t count how many times I’d seen him battle the ball back to our half.

But, still, that was one spot down and two to go.

“The different thing about this team,” my dad went on, “is that we’re mostly composed of juniors, aren’t we? Last year we had a big old group of seniors, but this year we only have four. That leaves twelve juniors and two sophomores.”

I glanced at the two youngest guys in the circle. To be honest, sometimes I forgot they were sophomores, because Kyle Jennings was almost as good as I was, though he kept quiet. But sophomores were never captains.

“That’s why I’ve chosen two juniors for my last two captains.” Coach was enjoying the suspense a little too much, I knew. “In the hopes that they can continue to build up the team next year as well.”

Would he just say it already?

“So, your last two captains – Ray Cruz and Danny Cooper.”

My heart stopped beating. Ray whooped loudly, thumping my back as he leaped into the air excitedly, his eyes sparking. I stood there stunned, staring at my dad, whose expression didn’t change as he looked at me.

“Yeah, Coop!”

“I knew it’d be you, man.”

“Didn’t we tell you?”

The guys congratulated Ray and me, clapping our shoulders and pushing us playfully. I felt a little guilty when I saw the disappointed looks on the other seniors’ faces, but I hadn’t made the choice. Coach thought I was the better option.