Chapter Forty Four

Start from the beginning

"I've been waiting for you," he murmured, and I finally stopped when I was directly in front of him.

Without knowing it was going to happen, my hand flew out, catching air along the way before it met Nolan's face with a sharp sound. His head whipped back, showing the red impression, but he didn't make a single noise.

"You deserve so much more," I whispered as he met my eyes once again, not a trace of hatred to be found.

"For what? For fighting for what I believe is right? Or what about fighting for what I desired most?" He easily replied, and I was quick to snap at him.

"No, Nolan! You deserve worse for all of those people you slaughtered along the way! They were great people who didn't have to die. They had their entire lives in front of them."

I knew none of this would change Nolan's perspective of the situation. In his eyes, he'd only done what was required of him to get what he wanted.

"That's exactly why I'll find pleasure in yours," I said, running my nail along his jaw before it dug in, drawing out blood. I was rewarded by the satisfying tightening of his jaw.

I started to walk off, but Nolan spoke again, a chill crawling up my spine. "You know, I attempted to visit you at home, not knowing you were here. It's how I found out about your capture: through your dad."

"What did you do?" I whispered, closing my eyes as I tried to remain calm despite my increasingly violent thoughts.

"Nothing, darling. I wouldn't do something to harm you. I simply wanted to see my flower again, but when I tried, no one answered the door," he stopped, waiting for me to move, to do something. However, when I didn't, he continued.

"So I stepped inside and found your dad. Your mom must've been at the market or something because she wasn't there. But I found your dad there, sitting on your bed looking around as if he'd lost his heart.

When he noticed me, he grew angry. I knew he never liked me, but this was something else. I suppose it was because his only child had been taken, and he need someone to place the blame on other than himself. Whatever the reason, he was seething with hatred.

He immediately blamed me for your disappearance. He said you would've never been so prideful had it not been for me. You would've never agreed to go into the forest. You would've thought wisely, he said.

I attempted to tell him I would find and rescue you, but he wouldn't listen. Since your disappearance, the werewolves in town were on edge, which explained why he had a gun."

Nolan's confession made me lean against the wall for support, trying to control my rapid breathing. This wasn't happening; it wasn't.

"Darling, what was I supposed to do? He had a gun pointed at me, and all I did was defend myself," he said tenderly, realizing the effect his claims had.

"I hope you suffer before they send you to hell where you belong," I said shakily.

I walked away, unable to face him after that. I knew I would kill him myself if I did, but he deserved worse, which was exactly what they had in plan for him. It was the only thing stopping me. But before leaving, I heard, "I'll see you again, my darling flower, on better terms, I hope."

My vision was blurring, and I had to bite back the tears to keep myself from stumbling as I ran out the palace and into the welcoming forest. I quickly shifted, happily running, racing the wind that dried my tears away.

I found myself standing in front of the last place I planned to visit today, seeking any comfort and a slight chance to escape reality. I was let in without question, and a smiling redhead handed me clothing, which I put on.

I walked through the halls, peering inside the last room. The patient was grinning from his bed, laughing as a woman talked to him. I walked in, receiving smiles from both of them.

"It took you long enough to visit me!" Lex teased, and Raelynn rolled her eyes at her fiancé.

"I didn't want to watch you two love birds," I replied, which didn't stop Lex from laughing.

Raelynn's face turned soft as she asked, "How was the funeral? We would've gone, but they told Lex he wasn't allowed to leave yet since he isn't fully healed."

"It was what you're picturing but worse," I said, and they both gave me identical looks of sympathy.

"It wasn't your fault, sweetheart," Raelynn said, and I gave her a brief smile.

I sighed before saying, "I should probably go." So we parted ways, and I found myself sitting on the bench outside the hall, my throat closing up as I put my head in my hands.

His death was my fault. If I'd stayed home instead of going into the forest, Nolan might have been there with me, and everyone he killed, alive. I should've realized being so arrogant would only hurt others in the process.

"Were you going to enter or were you going to sit there and continue to act as if I did not save you?"

I looked up and met a pair of blue eyes that were filled with sparkling amusement. For once, I didn't want to choke him for it but wanted to hug him.

It was odd seeing him in a hospital gown when I was so used to seeing him in formal suits. I could tell he felt uncomfortable in it by the way he kept trying to move it around. I was surprised there wasn't a nurse yelling at him for leaving his room.

I did exactly what I wanted, standing up and startling him as I wrapped my arms around him and buried my head into his shoulder, feeling him wince at the pressure. But I refused to let go of him yet.

I could feel the tears swimming back, everything hitting me. I knew Kendall could feel them running down his back by the way he squeezed me lightly with one arm and whispered sweet words into my ear, pressing his lips against it as he did so.

"I'm sorry, Kendall. I'm sorry for what I did and about Lance's death and . . ." I trailed off, choking on the words. I wasn't one to cry, but this was all too much.

I felt his finger lightly guide my chin up so my eyes met his once again. "Love, Lance's death was no one's fault but the werewolf who murdered him. And he died in battle as he desired. He said if he didn't, he was a failed soldier.

As for your actions, I thought it was clear I forgave you when I took a bullet for you." His voice turned teasing at the end, and I lightly hit his chest as my eyes narrowed. He hissed, and I gave him a sweet smile.

"Keep going. I dare you," I mumbled, nipping at his ear before resting my head on his shoulder once again. His chest vibrated with his soft laughter before it was cut off when he received pain in return.

Kendall's arms finally wound around me, giving me the comfort I'd come here for. His scent surrounded me, reminding me how much he smelled and felt like home. In a way, Kendall was my home, and I found myself smiling at that.

I felt his lips on my hair before they turned into a smile as he said, "Marry me, my love."