Chapter Forty Four

This is the final chapter, although there will be an epilogue!

Chapter Forty Four

The air was still, floating in its somber state. It didn't play, laugh, or whisper and it didn't scream, rage, or wail. For once, the air was quiet and had nothing to say.

The grass was vibrant, but its hue was hidden by the shadows casted by the large trees. They were sheltering us, hovering with their branches out as if to rub our backs if that was what anyone needed.

The sun was overly bright as if to remind us that life did have its perks, even if this wasn't one of them. It smiled and beckoned us, but the clouds and coffin hindered it from making a valid point.

There was a large mass of people, but it was expected for such a respected man. I think most of the guards had showed up, silently saluting their friend and leader. It was a touching gesture that caused even me to look away.

Everyone was dressed in black, although by some of their appearances, it seemed they didn't realize it was a funeral. Some of the girls were dressed in skimpy dresses meant to show skin, not mourn in. I even saw a man with ragged jeans, but a leather jacket to show money wasn't the problem.

My eyes landed on his family who stood beside his closed coffin. His mother had already broken down and was kneeling on the ground, clutching onto his father as if he was her air, her life support. His siblings stood there, staring ahead with faces made of stone.

There were other people too, but I didn't know how he knew them. I think a few of them were servants of the palace he'd met through his job. But other than that, the rest were complete strangers to me.

The coffin was beautiful, I supposed. I was certain it was highly expensive, but money wasn't something to worry about for this event. The coffin was a black glass one, chosen by his family, that reflected pained faces and hovered just above the hole it would lay in for the rest of the days.

I bowed my head, saying soft words of respect to him before I left. His death had been my fault, no matter how much others tried convincing me that I would only disappoint him with the thought. They said he'd want to be honored, not leave behind a mark of guilt.

But no matter how hard I tried thinking about that, guilt was sure to slip back in like a cold. It had told me it wasn't going away any time soon, and I surely believed it.

I made my way to the palace that was completely empty except for a few people. It was odd hearing it so quiet, so still. I never thought it could go like this, without movement, for a second, but here it was, surrounding me.

The journey to my destination was a lonely one but seemed too quick. I used the key I was given to open up the steel door that groaned with reluctance as I stepped in. I was sure to close it behind me, hearing it lock automatically.

I walked slowly, knowing any element of surprise had escaped the second I opened the door. I was sure he was expecting me as it was, knowing exactly what I wanted.

I found who I wanted, chained by the neck and arms like a dog. No matter who it was, it still sickened me to see a werewolf chained up. It wasn't as natural as humans were trying to make it.

His long hair had been cut much shorter, and I found myself feeling reminiscent when looking at him. It was hard to believe we'd gone from laughing in one another's arms to me barely being able to look at him.

His amber eyes were watching me, little expression in them. What I was sure of was that there wasn't a shred of regret lying there or hidden somewhere on his face.