Chapter 11

Once they had reached the river fork Gwenllech, the general direction to Kaer Morhen--if one knew that it was even in the Blue Mountains--was rather simple. The trick was spotting the gap in the granite wall leading to the correct gorge.

"Are you sure this is the right way? This just seems like a dense overgrown forest to me," Iespeth skeptically asked after they came out of the natural passage.

"Looks can be deceiving. And that is precisely the point. Very few know where Kaer Morhen is on purpose. There are secrets there that the general population need not know. And there are even more secrets that certain individuals shouldn't know either."

"You mean, like sorceresses and sorcerers?" Iespeth had gathered from some of Ciri's stories that most magical users where not all that trustworthy even though she was fascinated by them. They tended to have very secret agendas. What she had failed to recognize was that everyone had secrets and plans. And she herself was no different.

"Some, but not all," Ciri replied vaguely. Iespeth had been honest with her about her encounter with Rita. Ciri hoped nothing would come of it, but for safety's sake advised her companion to avoid skin to skin contact with mages. Iespeth was disappointed, but understood Ciri's reasoning. She decided to make sure she knew who she was to be meeting when they got there.

"So, Keira is a sorceress and she is paired to Lambert who is a-- what is he called? He is not a human."

"He's called a witcher," Ciri instructed.

"Yes. Lambert is a witcher which means Eskel is also a witcher. And who is the fourth?"

"Maya. You can't mistake her for anyone else due to her fiery red hair. She is a rather capable healer and will be able to help you with your hand. Also she is a...an elf. Like you."

Iespeth noticed her friend's hesitation, but wasn't sure what it meant.

The forest began to thin out a bit and opened up into a long, narrow valley. The two were lucky that the weather had been so pleasant mid-autumn even though the summers had become slightly longer year after year. In the middle of the valley, the Gwenllech, though at this point hardly recognizable as a river, trickled shallowly between the steep mountains. When Iespeth looked up she noticed a small tower and began to reevaluate her understanding of the word massive which Ciri had used often in her depiction of Kaer Mohren. As they came around one of the bends, the large Witcher fortress became visible, putting her doubts to rest. The large stone construction jutted proudly out of the side of a mountain which created a natural wall, needing no defense from the back side. Through the few pine trees, Iespeth could see what seemed to be balconies protruding out from one of the fortress' higher towers. I want to go up there. I want to see. I want to see all of this.

Iespeth could not keep her focus once they crossed the bridge into the barbican. The crumbling yet still formidable stone construction left her in awe.

"Who built this?" she asked, walking up the three part ramp.

"We don't know," Ciri replied, tickled at how impressed the emerald-eyed elf was. When they neared the inner ward, Iespeth asked what had caused the destruction of the archway. Ciri explained with hardship that it had happened in a battle. She pointed out the ballista which was used to collapse the structure as they navigated the pile. She made cleaning up the stones one of her goals this winter as the rubble reminded her too much of Vesemir.

They continued in silence until they stood directly in front of the keep. Ciri heard the slightly nasal sound of Keira laughing. She looked over and saw her, Lambert, Eskel and Maya sitting at a table in the small training area overlooked by the gauntlet, enjoying something to eat. Ciri walked over to them alone, smiling, while Iespeth stood staring and gaping at the keep.