Chapter 12 | Twelve Dancing Princesses

Start from the beginning

"Where did you heard about that artefact before?" Should I even tell him? Maybe not the reason why I need to see the artefact itself.

"I was doing my work at Imperia's library when I came across about these princesses. Your name was stated as the person who found the artefact." My father place his empty glass on the table.

"As the matter of fact, I do have them in the basement. But they are forbidden to be out from the basement safe haven because that artefact are believed to be curse. I tried to open them myself but it's futile. It seems like the only person who can open them, is the one who owns the Lunar insignia." And that would be Imperia.

No wonder I was forbid from trying to open them.

"Nothing good ever come from that chest, Evangeline. I hope you will think twice when you try to study the chest. Do not open the chest. That's all I'm asking." I nod. He smiled before standing up from his seat.

"Follow me. I'll lead you to the basement. I know how scared you are of that place after what happened. I'm sorry, Evangeline. It was my fault that you have to go through that traumatic experience." His fault? My father stands in front of a shelves before he push a button that slides the bookcase open and reveal a stair that leads us down to a dark place.

"Daddy, when did you built such Indiana Jones stuff in the house?" I asked while holding on tight on my father's arm.

"I went to a trip not so long ago and I thought to myself, why didn't I do trap doors and more mysterious stuff to my own home? I mean have a basement full of artefacts. I have nothing lose!" He patted my hand before leading me into the darkness until he turns on the lights.

"Now, where did I put that chest?" He seems so proud as he leads me through the basement. I mean, he should be. Most of the artefacts here cost him millions on the black market.

***

"Where is my princesses?" I was so surprised by Imepria's action that I almost dropped my dinner. Wait, since when did she has wings? Imperia landed on the balcony railing and looks at me with her piercing eyes.

"You look dishevel," I pointed out.

"A stupid devil decided to make an enemy out of me. I just have to show her how superior a vampire truly is." She was fighting before coming here?!

"How did it go, my lady? Did you win? Did you kill a devil?!" I asked, curious and also wish she didn't do something that will jeopardise their own life.

"I have a date with her this coming Friday." Wait, what?! How did the fight leads to them having a date on Friday?!

"It's a long story. Now, where is my princesses?" I quickly finish up my dinner and explain to her how it's impossible for me to get the chest out from the basement.

"Impossible? I like that odds of that. Show me the way and I just get them from the chest myself." I stopped her from going any further.

"My father is down there. It's been ages since he went down there and now he's just reminiscing the time when my mother was still alive." I watched as Imperia's wings suddenly disappeared into her body.

"Evangeline, I have no time to give your father the pleasure of went back to memory lane. I need my princesses now!" I take a step back when she raised her voice.

"I'm sorry. Of course. Follow me please." Imperia straightened herself up before following me into my childhood home. I don't know why but it seems like any maid who came across our path doesn't seem so faze to see her this late at night.

"A secret passage? Humans. Why is there any need to make everything seems hard?" Imperia shakes her head and she walks down the stair to where the chest should be.

"You never had any secret passage in your castle before? Not even an escape route?" Imperia shakes her head no.

"Why would I do something like that? My enemies attacked me for a reason. Why should I leave and disappoint them when I can perfectly face them until their death." What a sadistic queen she was. I'm sure she finds it entertaining to tortured her enemies.

"Where is my chest?" She asked when I lead her across the hallways.

"Here," I try to open the door but it won't budge. It didn't take an effort for Imperia to push the door with her strength. To my surprised, the alarm system went off and I'm beginning to panic. By now I'm sure I have alerted everyone in the house.

"That is my chest alright and he is wise to put every precaution he can think off." Imperia inspected her best while I'm worrying about my father marching down towards the basement with his guns. I'm in so much trouble right now and Imperia is busy with her chest!

"Put your hands up! Do you think I'm that gullible, thieves!" I raised both hands when my father actually aiming his shotgun at me. He was so surprised to see me and Imperia at the basement.

"Evangeline?! What are you doing down here? I thought I already told you that you are forbidden to touch the chest!" My father lowered his gun and walks into the room with puzzling looks.

"What is she doing here?! And why is she rubbing on my chest like that? Get your hands off of my artefact, vampire!" Imperia ignores my father warning and proceed to open the chest. I don't know what happened next but I think I heard female laughter mixing together with blood curdling scream.

"Ladies, stop scaring the humans. Get up! It's time to work." With a blink of an eye, the room suddenly filled with twelve beautiful woman each possessed such an eccentric hair colour. Both my father and I are speechless.

"Don't be so demanding, Imperia. We've been asleep for thousands of years and to add to that, we've been examined by countless of humans. You have no idea what we've been through spiritually." Imperia suddenly cups the woman's face as she stare into her orbs.

"Don't make me remind you and the rest of you who is in charge around here. You all might be fairies but I am your master!" Imperia finally let go of the woman. I watched as she struggles to breathe again.

"You don't have to be so rough on her. She was just trying to protect the young!" By now they all seems to be afraid of Imperia.

"Gotus is currently on the hands of a devil who seek nothing but damnation. My people are suffering. Do you really think I have even a bit of part in my body to be civil?" The fairies take a step back when the Imperia faces them all.

"You all need to feed. I only have a small amount of spiritual power left. It's not enough to feed all of you. Let's go home. I think by now Keres has done with her concoction." Imperia suddenly faces me with a smile.

"Thank you for reuniting me with my princesses. I shall make my move now. By the way, Mr Odin. I have prepared a simple token of gratitude for taking care of my servants for the past years." Imperia reached into her jacket and pulled a bracelet with many colourful stones.

"I'm sure as a historian, you know that it's an original." My father was surprised to see that Imperia has given her something that supposed to be a lost treasure.

"Is this ... the moonlight bracelet. I have just read about this in books and it is believe that it's disappeared together with the royal family after they were massacred. How did you came across such rare piece of artefact?" Imperia smiled at my father.

I can only guess it's Hotep.

"Please, I'm a vampire who owns pretty things. This little bracelet is nothing." I'm sure that she took it without Hotep's permission. She might be a queen but she is a sneaky one.

"Well, enjoy your holiday, Evangeline." I don't know what happened but right after both my father and I was blinded by some sort of light, Imperia and the rest of the princesses simply disappear from the room.

I can never get used to that.